1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Water changes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChapmanFM, Jun 1, 2018.

1. So Ive had my tank for years. I always do about a 8-10 gallon water change weekly, but have been lacking lately. My RO water is in my basement (basically dirt hole in the ground), and hate getting the water..(lazy). So lately ive been thinking about every morning just taking out a gallon of water and letting my auto top off refill my tank, I would add 1/2 cup salt to the sump. Just wondering what your thoughts are on removing small amount of water daily instead of big ones weekly?

2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    If you can keep the salinity stable with your process I say go for it.
    Lots of guys doing continuous water changes. Mostly with automation and dosing pumps. I was doing up to 30 or 40 gallons a week. spread out evenly throughout the day programmed with the apex and DOS pump. Worked great until the pump failed, twice...
    Is/was a ****ty design prone to failure. I don't know if they ever fixed the issue, but they were sure denying there was any issue for awhile anyway.

3. oddhobbies101 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Pella
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Check out the litermeter 3 from spectrapure.

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    you can even use the dosing pumps from BRS to do it. Just keep a very close eye on your salinity while you tinker with everything.

I dont recommend adding pure salt directly to your sump. Until fully disolved and mixed it could prove lethal to fish or inverts if they get hit with it. IE gill burn, etc.

5. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    What this lazy guy did...I ran a 1/4" line upstairs from my RODI, have my mixing tank (20gal @ $/gal sale) hid away next to my sump, put a powerhead and heater in my mixing tank and a small pump to transfer it to my sump. I also ran a 1/2" line from my sump downstairs to a drain...to do a water change, let mixing tank fill, add salt, turn on pwr head & heater, 1 hour later, drain sump, let pump in mixing tank refill sump. Done...I don't miss carrying buckets!o_O