1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Wanting to Upgrade!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SWaquariast, Nov 30, 2008.

1. SWaquariast

SWaquariast New User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am new to the girs and this is my fist post.  I am want in to upgrade from 2 20g aquariums to a 75g overflow with fuge/sump.  Want in to know price and equipment list. Just say I have the aquarium, canopy, and stand.  I'm most likely going to build a 20g long sump. Here is a little sketch i made on paint for an idea.
    [​IMG]
    Also here is a pic of my little pride and joy. My 20g reef.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And my homemade frag rack
    [​IMG]

2. reefgoon09

reefgoon09 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are you wondering if u have that stuff all ready wat all you will need and how much it will cost? Also depending on where u live there is a 75 reef ready on the des Moines section on craigslist. Comes with a sump I believe and maybe even som live rock...

3. reefgoon09

reefgoon09 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are you wondering if u have that stuff all ready wat all you will need and how much it will cost? Also depending on where u live there is a 75 reef ready on the des Moines section on craigslist. Comes with a sump I believe and maybe even som live rock...

4. reefgoon09

reefgoon09 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

5. SWaquariast

SWaquariast New User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No my current equipment will be sold or trade for very little some supplies I am keeping. I need list of equipment that I should get.

6. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Lights $ 250
    Skimmer $ 250
    Return pump $ 65
    Power heads $ 100
    Total $665
    You could probably find deals on all of the items you are looking for with used equipment. Hope this helps.

7. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS!

My advice to you would be to get the biggest tank you can as a sump, especially if you plan to use it for a refugium.

For example, I build a similar 3 chamber sump using a 29G for the 75G tank at my office. By the time I made a big enough section for the skimmer and added the baffles, the refugium section was tiny and the pump section had very little volume to account for evaporation or pump failure. You could probably make it work with a 20L, but it would be difficult.

Other than that, the only real parts you need are the return pump and plumbing (which varies).

-JB

8. reefgoon09

reefgoon09 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree with jb. I have a 40 gallon sump for my 135

9. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I have a 29 gallon sump and my skimmer takes up over half of it. Get as long a sump as you can fit under there.