1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

want new 4X54 t5ho 48"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by matt1971, Apr 9, 2009.

1. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My choices so far are nova extreme- $250, catalina- $225, odyssea -$130 (would rather stay away from this one). Retrokit?

2. Luukosian

Luukosian

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/pro...ts_id=1423
    That is the one I have from catalina and it is a really well built unit.  The stock bulbs are a little yellow but I just switched one of the actinics out for a different brand and it took all the yellow out. They also have different brand bulbs in the stock unit since I bought mine(probably about a year ago). Their customer servce is pretty good as well, my package arrived with shipping due so I sent them an email and the next day they gave me that back(10 bucks) and offered to give me a good deal on my next purchase. Nice individual reflectors, 2 power cords and I bought the legs for it and they are pretty sturdy as well cause I move my light around all the time during maintenance and have never had a problem.  Mine was on sale for like 110 at the time, seems they have raised price a little but it is probably still worth it.

3. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I have a 8X54 CA t5ho 48" too. It is nice. no moonlights were advertised and it arrived with dimmable.

4. Luukosian

Luukosian

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I almost ordered those moonlights with mine too(mine didn't come with any), do they make the tank look pretty good at night? Maybe I will order them, you got any pics of them in action on your tank?

5. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    They are not very bright... if you have corals that illuminate well under actinics then it is pretty cool for late night parties at your place. No pics... and personally I would turn the dimmer on high. It is a pretty cheap set up with thin wire. I wouldn't pay a whole lot for it unless you think your coral might spawn with it. Mostly illuminates corals near the surface.

6. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

Wow - I didn't know there were others locally that had the Catalina lights!

I researched all that was available and ended up purchasing the 4x54w T5 Solar fixture in February.  I went with the 460 actinics and will eventually swap a 10k for a different bulb along with one of the actinics.

I paid $195 shipped from Catalina (more expensive on eBay)
    Good communication, seems to be well built, and I initially had an issue with the bulb holders getting bent in shipping, they promptly sent out new ones, giving me the option to replace them myself or return the fixture - great service as well!
    Why I chose Solars:
    1. The price was right. When I bought them, they were $165 with legs plus shipping, as I write this they're $179 plus shipping and the legs.
    2. I like the look of the fixture - stylish and modern in gloss black. Many of the lights I looked at appear to be 10 years old. Important as I won't have a canopy.
    3. Fixture is vented so according to them, you don't need fans (jury is out on this).
    4. 5 year warranty on the ballast. Speaking of the ballast, I researched it. Advance Ballast Specs (PDF)
    6. Future upgrade ability.
    According to the factory, there are very few bulb manufacturers of T5's. I was told these bulbs do come from China, but are the same bulbs as many others (Current) - this factory stamps whatever name on the bulb they're paid to.
    So I have a nice looking fixture with what appears to be a great ballast. I can switch the lights out if needed, or even swap the ballasts and add fans if need be.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    -Eric

7. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I like pictures :)
    -Eric

8. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got an IceCap 660 retrofit kit. IMO you won't find a better T5 solution as far as the lighting goes. It needs to be put in something to dress it up if you want it to look nice, no moonlights, and all your lights come on and go off at the same time. however, you get an extra 100W out of your fixture and individual reflectors. The ballast is also cool to the touch when it is running, meaning you are wasting less energy to heat. My previous fixture was a current t5ho, it was just ok.