1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

waned lunar light

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fmsill, Sep 17, 2009.

1. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Im wanting some lunar lights for my 210 tank to supplement my 3 400 wat watt halids with lumenbright lg reflectors at night. Ive been looking on sites like dr foster and smith but they want quit a bit to get enough for my tank. I am thinking of trying to build my own as i have some electronics backround but im not sure if i want to undertake the project. I know probably five months ago on here  someone was makeing their own led lighting system but  cant remember who it was, does anyone know who it was ? If i do buy a premade system does anyone have any suggestions on a good system?
    Thanks brian

2. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have a bunch of plain blue LED's with resistors if you want them haha, i made a moonlight for my 125 with them a long time ago, they work but kind of a pain in the butt.

3. rvarner

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Brian, I sell strips of 30 blue high intensity LEDs at my shop (Hobby Haven) in Urbandale for $21. They can be cut with individual soldering tabs every three bulbs. With a 9-12v basic power adapter they will make your corals glow! I got 6ft acrylic 3/8 tube from Regal plastics for $2 and made 2 lights out of 1 strip. Ryan

4. rvarner

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was actually thinking about making a few if your interested, let me know.

5. rvarner

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey, Brian. Sorry I didn't have time to talk to you more when you were at the shop. I was two guys short that day! Let me know how your lunar light goes. I told you those babies were intensely bright!

6. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Ryan. I got the leds hooked up and they work great! I bought 2 strips of leds and im glad i did. I left the first strip as is then solderd the second strip to the first one, I think i had six leds left. I did this to get penetration to the bottom of the tank since its a deep tank. All in all im really happy with them and i think they are just as good as a boght one. Thanks for all the help!
    Brian