1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

VSV Dosing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by REEFer Madness, Apr 24, 2009.

1. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    VSV= Vodka, Sugar, Vinegar
    I've been staying up late the last few nights reading about this and I'm going to try it.  I just ordered my PO4 test kit to get going.  I'll regularly test and log for about two weeks and then start dosing and see where it takes me with my nitrates and how much better the colors of my corals look.

2. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have been curious about that myself,keep us posted

3. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    also have you read about using vitamin c?

4. REEFer Madness

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I haven't seen anything about it, I'll look it up though.
    This is a pretty good thread
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/s...id=1252294
    hmm...that doesn't sound too bad.  I may even give that one a shot while I'm at it.
    Dosing with the Vit C means I'll have to remove my carbon, which is the only filtration I have besides my Live Rock, sand, and skimmer.  I only have 5 smaller fish and my system is roughly 145 gallons so losing the carbon shouldn't really hurt.

5. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Like I'm sure you've read just go slow. What corals are you trying to improve? I know many people have said bacteria slime on surfaces is a sign of too much but there are other risks too. Keep an eye on your fish, many times excessive dosing will cause irritation inside them. Some sps will show a "tuliped" polyp from respiration. If you have a piece of coral that has good color use it as an indicator for when nutrients become too low. A good example is the green slimer, it will lighten up or turn yellow when you are in danger of losing coral. Good luck

6. REEFer Madness

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I'm going to start of real slow. Keep testing and keep an eye out.
    My birds nest lost it's color since I have recieved it. I have 10K lights, so I know won't be the same as under Pheonix 14K. But mainly I'm an experiementalist and just plain curious.
    When I hit really low nitrates and find a stable amount of dosage, I'll start feeding my fish more so nutrients don't get too low and start walking that fine line. Then just adjust my feeding and not the dosages.
    Oh yeah, I think it was you and Jason I was saying something about my caps having white spots and getting all stringy....my damn urchin was munching on it.  Finally caught him in the act.

7. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Make sure you keep us posted on the VSV doing. I was going to use the Vodka, did some reading about it, but never got it going. I even bought the Vodka, but ended up drinking it. So make sure you keep up informed, with pics if you can.

On the vitamin c. I did try that for about two months, I read the big RC thread about it and did everything they said to do. In my tank I didn't see any good happening. I got some cloudyness, and that was about all. But that is just my opinion.

8. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php
    Here is a link about Vodka doing is anyone is interested