1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Vortech MP40W

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jtown, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anybody use the Ecotech pump? Im thinking about buying the mp40w for my 58g but for the price I could get a pair of controlable Tunze also. Just wanted to see what ppl think mainly ppl that own them so can give first hand opinions. Im sick of moving my Korilas around trying to point them in the right spots and I thought about the red sea wave maker thing but I said eff it im going all out and getting a good set up.
    Im letting you guys spend my money for me here so let me know what you think and help me justify a 400$ single power head... Thanks[​IMG]

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  3. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i think the 40 might be a little big for your tank justin, might want to look into the 20 series. the guy at the lucky bamboo said his 40 covered the whole width of his tank. now if your planning on upgrading your tank to a bigger one in the future then i guess you can turn the 40 way down. i just find it hard to justify 400 bucks for a single power head although they are nice as hell. can usualy get them for about 325 used on RC though

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I have a few & like them ok.

What kind of corals are you planning on keeping & what do you want out of it.

A 40 would be good on a 55, it has a nice wide flow. It is alot different then regular power heads that have a strong narrow stream.

The other nice thing is that you can program them to go half speed at night, or a lagoon mode that ramps up to high flow, & then down to low flow. It will constantly repeat this in different patterns.

5. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    $400 for a powerhead? Come on man...

Get a couple Tunze or some bigger HK's, that controllable stuff is over rated and over priced in my opinion.

Save your money for frags.

6. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i really like the idea behind them and the fact there are no wires going out the top of your tank taht would be awesome on a rimless tank :) maybe next tax season i'll splurge and get one haha.

7. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Im getting one. Its hard spending that much thinking all the frags I could get for 400$ but instead of thinking of it that way, Im thinking of how happy my corals that are in there will be.

8. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    buy 2 and give me one :) i'll give you a 125 for it haha

9. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i got a 40 and the thing is very impressive. I don't know if it's worth $400, i paid $125 for mine. it is definitively the coolest pump i've ever seen. it really does move water toward and away from it in the whole tank.

10. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Where the heck did you find it for 125? Thats just crazy cuz the wireless controller alone costs that new. Ill give you 200 for it right now! lol and some frags

11. acrouse

acrouse

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'll give you $201 and some highly sought after green hairy mushrooms. Seriously I have been looking at one for my 72" 180 just don't know if one is enough. If anyone has one in a 72" tank I would like to know what you think.

12. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    225$ and 3 sps frags of your choice.... have about 10 to choose from. Lets just get this auction going... lol

13. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

wow you found a crazy deal. 

14. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Posted By acrouse on 06/17/2009 08:18 PM
    I'll give you $201 and some highly sought after green hairy mushrooms. Seriously I have been looking at one for my 72" 180 just don't know if one is enough. If anyone has one in a 72" tank I would like to know what you think.
    It depends on what you have for corals.
    If you want some good sps, just 1 wont be near enough.
    Now on my 250 LPS tank I am only running 1 & it is fine.

15. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I have three of them in my tank, (8x2x2, 250 gal) and I set them for Lagoon Random mode. I absolutely love them.

I started out with two of them. One at each end of the tank, mounted on the side. That was probably enough flow to be honest. However I have a bare bottom tank and as such have no fear of sandstorms. So I bought a third MP40W and stuck it on the back middle of the tank. My sps and tangs love all the flow, some of my lps aren't as happy really. For example my frogspan does not extend as much as it might otherwise.

I had the Hydor Koralias but they are just WAY TOO BIG for my liking.

16. jsprague

jsprague

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You will need two for your 180.  I purchased 1 for my 150gal and had to buy a second to get that great flow across the whole tank.  I think they are great powerheads.  Only thing I don't care for is they make a slight humming from the external motor.  If your tank is noisy anyways with fans and such you wouldn't here it though.