1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Vodka,Sugar,Vinegar

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deleted member 46, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone dosed vodka, sugar, or vinegar,  for an extended period of time?  If so what effects did you notice? I read a pretty long forum http://www.kipsreef.com/forum/showthread.php?t=318 last night on dosing these three and was wondering if anyone in the club had any firsthand experience on them? 
    I've been using vinegar in my kalk for 2 weeks now and have noticed that a few issues I've had have gone away.  I can not tell by the change in skimmate though for I changed to my new DIY skimmer during the proccess.  It is working like my otherone could not. [​IMG]I have noticed the dark red algae on my rocks disappearing fast and being replaced with purple coraline algae.  I've also lost much of the hair algae I've had in my overflow.  My alk and calcium have seemed to be getting sucked up at a much higher rate also.  The only bad thing I've noticed is a brown bacterial mat that has grown on my sand bed.  This could be from to much to fast.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't "dose", but I do dump some sugar in every once in a while when I feed. It drastically helps with reducing nitrates (found that out with my old setup) and as far as i've seen has no ill effects whatsoever. Next time I make a batch of homemade food I'm just going to add the sugar right in.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I suppose I should mention the positives- when I do throw sugar in I notice less algae buildup on the glass (there's not much anymore, anyway), better polyp extension from my sps, and skyrocketing sponge growth. The sugar fuels bacterial growth, and the bacteria is either consumed by what I'm growing in the tank or skimmed out, taking their consumed waste with them. I don't see a downside aside from if one were to overdose sugar and get a bacterial bloom at night, which would drop the pH but rarely results in any losses from what I've read.

4. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ryan, how much sugar do you dose at a time?

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    HAHAHAHAHAHA
    I have no idea. I just shake some in from a yogurt container. Only measurement I've got for sugar, vodka, or vinegar is 1.5 oz vodka repeatedly until I'm satisfied. But that's got nothing to do with the tank.

6. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I did sugar for about a month....my fish ended up with Fin Rot.

I was also in a potassium overdose situation at the time so I cant tie the fin rot to either the sugar or the K overdose or the combo....be careful and go slow....

eins

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree, go slow with any change.

Many many people use sugar/vodka. Other than bacterial blooms, which are from NOT going slow, I've not heard of any negative effects.

8. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That is a very interesting read. I'm too afraid to try it in my two small aquariums though. I think it wouldn't take much to overdose 10 gallons of water. I might try adding vodka eventually if I get brave. I'll probably start with very low doses though. Only one or two drops at a time.

9. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well the bacterial matt is gone. I kept up with the same dose of 2 teaspoons of sugar and a 1/4 cup of vinegar in the kalkwasser. Becareful if you do vodka it feeds the bacteria more than sugar and vinegar does.

10. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Thanks again