1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Vibrant Cleaner?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StormyMoe, Feb 23, 2017.

1. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone heard of, or used, Vibrant Cleaner to reduce a lot of different algae? I came across a comment mentioning it and found there was an extensive write-up on R2R with people having success with it (not everyone). I'm currently battling a pretty bad outbreak of what I think is GHA and dinos so thinking about trying this stuff out. The info makes it sound like this helps to get some bacteria levels in check to get rid of algae as opposed to just nuking it. Definitely seems like a new product, the thread is from Oct-16, so just curious about any experience or thoughts.

Here is a link to the R2R thread.

2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    What's the speculation on what's in it?

3. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Well here is what the company has listed:

Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner Ingredients -

95% Cultured Bacteria Blend
    1% Amino Acids (Aspartic Acid)
    0.5% Vinegar - This is used as the preservative
    3.5% Other Ingredients (RO/DI Water)

Here is what they're claiming it can fix:

Cloudy/hazy Water- 1 dose
    Diatoms - 1-2 doses
    Cyanobacteria - (Yes, it will outcompete another bacteria) 1-5 doses
    Dinoflagellates - 2-5 doses
    Bubble algae - 3-8 doses
    Hair Algae - 3-5 doses (depending on species of hair and how bad the infestation is)
    Turf Algae - 8-20 doses ( again, depending on species and how bad the infestation is)
    Bryopsis - 6-30 doses ( again, depending on species and how bad the infestation is)

I've still kind of slowly going through the 137 or so pages on the R2R thread but I've come across some people losing their shrimp after using it and some having a cyano outbreak after the other algae is taken care of.

Here is a quick synopsis from the company as well

How Does Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner work?

This is the tricky part to explain. There are a few different strains of bacteria that play different roles in ridding the algae. One of the strains, works to convert No3 and Po4 into biomass, which then is easily removed via protein skimming and or water changes. Some of the biomass will also be consumed by live corals. This strain is also very good at going after organic settlement and reducing it significantly. Here is where it gets harder to explain, the function of one of the other bacteria is to actual go in and cling to the algae and consume them turning their waste then into biomass also which is then utilized by the corals or later removed by protein skimming or water changes. The beautiful thing is, this is not like using some crazy algaecide that just leaves a bomb of nutrients in your tank as the algae die leading you on a downward spiral of issue after issue. Once your algae issue is gone, you can stop dosing vibrant or you can simply use it as part of your routine maintenance to keep your tank looking nice and clean all the time.

4. F.D. Reefer Well-Known ReefKeeper

Fort dodge
    Ratings:
    +98 / 1 / -0
    Sounds like a fancy high priced vodka?
    I use good old "Hawkeye"
    Worx great

Sent from my iPhone via App

5. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    If I recall correctly when I had dinos take over my tank this summer you were going through a similar crisis, is it still the same problem?
    I was really close to purchasing this vibrant stuff but the price was the only thing that was preventing me. I decided to order Dr. Tim's Waste-away and I am not looking back. It claims to do the exact same thing as Vibrant at half the cost. Dr Tim also claims that it is an all organic product which is refreshing. I don't know the exact ingredients but when the dinos started showing up again literally overnight after the first dose, which was half the recommended amount, they were gone, like magic.

The application is the same as vibrant: once a week, not sure if it is the same dosage. I have heard great stuff about vibrant but it just so happens that Dr. Tim's worked for me, so that's what I am sticking with.

6. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    I can claim that vibrant does work. I was curious about the product so I put some GHA, Bryopsis, and bubble algae in my zoa biocube. I followed the directions for the first few weeks and didnt see much change. I didnt dose anything for 2-3 weeks and forgot what the directions said. Well I dosed over 10x the amount the bottle says. Its a bottle of bacteria and not a carbon source so i wasnt really worried. A week passed and I check the tank. It literally wiped out well over half the algae in the tank within a weeks time.

I bought a lot of 200 Nas snails on eBay and added some of them to my 110. They came with the much loved dino. I have dosed DinoX in the past with results, but this time they were hanging in there. I started dosing vibrant in the 110 and it really knocked the dino down. Im still dosing to completely wipe it out yet, but I have seen results in both tanks.

7. xMermaidxx

Altoona
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Nice, seeing as I have dinos from my tank crash in may this is all really good to know. Thanks guys.

Didn't know what products there were for fighting it other than dino x, hydrogen peroxide dosing, and maybe Bacter Clean M. It's always good to have options. So this post is helpful in building an arsenal against it. I haven't tried fighting it yet, only recently realized what it was.. but the more options the better.

8. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    I ordered some earlier this week to take care of some bubble algae in my cube tank.......since my wrasse keeps eating every crab I put in there..... it'll show up on Saturday so I'm excited to try it out!

9. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
  10. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I was fighting a real bad cyano outbreak, and I think I had a few dinos then too, but they're back with a vengeance. The closer I look at the tank I think I've got bryposis. I hadn't come across the Dr. Tim's Waste-away yet, I'll take a look at that as well.

Glad to see a success story from someone in this group! I like the way you went about it too; more like an actual experiment. Thanks!

11. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
  12. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    Dr. Tim's will work for Cyano if you follow the directions on his website. It may come back but if you follow the procedure again, it'll go away again. It won't work for Byropsis. Easiest thing I've found are the lettuce slugs (but not if you have high flow) or Hydrogen Peroxide. H2O2 kills it, then things eat it.

13. use it,.. love it, never clean the glass anymore

14. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone for the feedback and ideas of how to help my tank look better. I THINK I'm dealing with bryopsis and dinos, but here are some pics. Quality isn't great, but maybe they're clear enough to help me identify what I'm dealing with? The dinos I'm pretty confident on, bryopsis not so much.

IMG_1535.JPG

IMG_1536.JPG

IMG_1537.JPG

IMG_1538.JPG

15. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    If it is bryopsis I have recently added 2 lettuce nudis, but I don't know if they'll be enough to tackle it.

16. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    Those nudi's are great! just take care of the little guys!

17. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I don't see any bryopsis in those pics, looks like just dinos. How old is your system? Made any changes lately? (Anything - rock position, water movement, literally anything...)

18. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for taking a look @Bud@Bud! The last pic was the one with my concern for bropsis. Pic doesn't show it very well but it's a large tuft of algae right in the center towards the top that sways with the current.

System is about 8 months old and about 2 months ago I added another piece of rock and moved another single piece of rock to a different position. Main rock structure hasn't changed. Other things I've changed recently would be switching from SeaChem 2-part alk/ca system to the BRS mixes and started using Reef Chili 3 times a week. Beyond that the tank and my maintenance schedule has been the same.

19. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Just got through this article in it's entirety by Jason and it was really interesting! He had regular pics showing the algae and lots of pics from a microscope of various algae, pods, bacteria, etc. Didn't seem him necessarily say "this product is great/bad" which is what I was hoping to see on the last page, but still a fun read.

@Buku@Buku given your use of Vibrant and DinoX would you say you prefer one over the other?

20. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    The DinoX works faster. I would do both really. Vibrant would knock it down over a couple of weeks. DinoX will wipe out all/most of it. Then the continue use of Vibrant to be on the safe side.