1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Using a 36" light on a 48" tank...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jtown, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey all... Just want to hear some opinion on if that is a good idea??? I just bought that new outer orbit t5 and halide combo thats 36" with 2 250w halides. Im growing out of my 58g tank and stuff has taken off like crazy so I need to get a new tank... Have looked at 36" cubes and they are just so expensive that I dont know if its right for me right now... I found a few 120g for decent price which are the 48x24x24 and all my other equipment would work fine and would be double the size I have now plus with larger sump could have even more water volume...
    My question is would my current fixture look silly hanging above this tank? The way it is now there is tons of light that goes over all 4 sides of the tank so I think it would be enuf light but wanted a few other opinions....

2. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My opinion is that a shorter light then tank will leave shadowed ends. Not a big fan of the shorter light fixture. Not saying that it wouldn't work. Just don't care for the way it makes a tank look.

3. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Not sure how it would would turn out or if there would be enough room but if you enclose the top with a canopy you could always add some 48 VHO's or T5's to the outside of the fixture to get light to the whole tank. I have seen someone do that on another forum somewhere and it turned out pretty good.

4. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have dual 250's and 36" VHO above my 90 and it looks fine. The end are not shaded looking but I don't have a canopy.

5. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i would just got retro justin and get some nice lumenarc pendants :) hang the pendants over the tank :)