1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

upgrading two 175s to two 250`s w/ 4x39 t5

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jtown, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey all quick question about acclimating my corals to stronger lighting and if its important or not much of an issue.... I have two 175 10k single end retros right now with a pair of actinic pc supplements. I just purchased an Outer Orbit 36" fixture with a pair of 14k 250's and 4x39w t5ho's. (expensive yes) My question is, what do I need to do, if anything, to make sure my corals adapt to the stronger lighting properly without bleaching or getting light shock???
    Do i just start out at a few hours a day and increase slowly or do is it ok to just run like normal? My sps are going to love me!

2. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    When I upgraded from PC's to T5s I started with a shorter run time and lengthen the time every few days, never caused any problems.

3. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    When I went from T5's to Mh I did it by only running one mh for less time then when it got up to full time I started with the second. Had no problems and my SPS never looked better.

4. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    You can just raise the light quite a bit higher if you don't have a cannopy or anything obstructing it, than gradually add more time and then gradually lower it closer to the tank.

5. xmasia

xmasia Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    if you dont want to mess with timers all the time set your normal light cycle,get egg crate on top of tank and cut window screen 7 layers i think there was a thread on rc about this....then place all layers on egg crate and every week pull one off.