1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Upgrading to new tank and sump

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mr.jeff.wagner, Jan 4, 2008.

1. mr.jeff.wagner

mr.jeff.wagner Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well im going to be taking my 30 gallon tank and replacing it with a 40 breeder with a 20 gallon sump/refugium.  I dont have a sump on my 30 so it will be a 30 gallon upgrade total.
    My question is can I just add the sand + new sand to the tank, dump in old water plus new water, and put the corals and liverock in?  Essentially a 50% water change?
    I will be using sand and live rock from my 10 gallon in the refugium... so I shouldnt have too much of a cycle.  The only thing new i will be adding is 30 gallons of salt water and 20-40ish pounds of new sand.
    Thanks.

2. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    If you do it that way I would try not to disturb the sand too much (i know it's almost imposible). When you go to fil the new tank I would put a plate or bowl on the sand and slowly add the water dumbing into the plate or bowl first, this will cause alot less disruption to the sand and should help keep the cloudiness to a minimum. I'd also get some new carbon and run that after the switchover. If you knew all this feel free to slap me, if not good luck on the tank move....new tanks are always fun. Jason

3. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Also with the old sand bed often times there are areas in there that hold some relatively nasty stuff which can cause some big problems with a tank. If you have to fully disrupt the sand bed I would give the tank a few hours to filter and test the water before you add your corals and fish back to the tank.
    Billy

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    More livestock is lost during tank switches then any other time. I would even put all your livestock in a tote or something for a couple days. Run carbon likr Jason said. I would do another water change after it sat for a day & then add 1 or 2 items of your livestock then.

Good Luck with it
    Craig