1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Upgrade from Mag 24 to Mag 36?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gb387, Jul 31, 2009.

1. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have been thinking of upgrading my system pump from a mag drive 24 to a 36.  Right now I have my tank return lines turned down to about 1/2 capacity for my skimmer to work properly, If I turn them down more it works better but I loose the tank flow.  Maybe I should just add another pump for the skimmer alone (mag 12 or 18)?  Any thoughts/suggestions? 
    Anyone have a Mag 36, trying to see if they are any louder than the 24 I currently have.

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Aren't the Mag pumps terribly inefficient for wattage/flow (at least when you get to the bigger ones like 24 and 36)? Do you have to go internal? Have you considered going with an external pump that's more energy efficient? You would not heat your water as much and reduce your electricity bill. For example...Mag 36 is 300 watts w/ 3600 GPH at zero head. A Reeflo Dart is 155 watts w/ 3600 GPH at zero head. Now I don't know what the head loss curve looks like on these, but you're talking half the electricity to run the Dart.

I don't understand your comment about turning down your return lines to make your skimmer work right. It would seem to me that if your already restricting flow, that upgrading your pump would be counterproductive. I don't know your setup, but I would seriously consider going external with your pump if you do decide to upgrade it.

--AJ

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I actually have a mag 5 feeding one of my skimmers. The other I just feed through the overflow.

Another thought is to t the return & then you can control how much is fed to your skimmer & the rest can flow into your sump.

4. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Huh - I keep tossing the idea of an external pump but I have to drill my sump and that might be a little difficult. I will have to do some checking, it keeps coming back to external in my mind, that is why I am posting.

5. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK, anyone have a photo of an external pump set up UNDER the aquarium in the stand? I have room for an external just not sure how the intake should work and/or look inside the sump.

6. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i didn't think you had that much room under your stand. my pump is pretty long. and i noticed on RC there are designs that dont require you to drill your sump. they are in the DIY part of the forums i think i'm going to use the same design and still use my 55 as my sump.

7. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I should have enough room for an external pump, I have measured it all up and all looks good. I will check out the DIY designs.

8. cowdust9

cowdust9 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    let me know if you want to get rid of your 24 :)

9. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By AJ on 07/31/2009 09:32 PM
    I don't understand your comment about turning down your return lines to make your skimmer work right. It would seem to me that if your already restricting flow, that upgrading your pump would be counterproductive.
    --AJ
    That's what I'm saying....
    -Eric

10. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am turning the lines that run from my sump to the tank down (restricting flow), to give my skimmer more water flow (my skimmer runs unrestricted). I can run my return lines wide open and get crazy flow in the tank but it cuts down the skimmers flow. Make sense?  Keep in mind I have one pump for the entire system.

11. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By gb387 on 08/07/2009 09:14 AM
    I am turning the lines that run from my sump to the tank down (restricting flow), to give my skimmer more water flow (my skimmer runs unrestricted). I can run my return lines wide open and get crazy flow in the tank but it cuts down the skimmers flow. Make sense?  Keep in mind I have one pump for the entire system.
    So you're splitting the output from the pump to drive both the skimmer and the tank returns?  Gotcha.

What's your skimmer rated for regarding flow? 
    What type of skimmer is it?
    Others may have advice of the proper pump to dedicate to your skimmer to see if that helps your equation.
    -Eric

12. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The skimmer is an AquaC EV-240 - I can use up to a Mag 18 on its own but AquaC says a valve should be installed to fine tune the ckimmers incomming flow. Mag 12 is ok as well.