1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tank Build! Up-sizing our tank to a 265 display!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by erayk1, Dec 3, 2019.

1. erayk1 Well-Known ReefKeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Coralville, IA
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    I've never done a build thread from the start of a project, so I figured this was the perfect time to do so. We found a deal we couldn't pass up on a used 265g Marineland with corner overflows which was just a foot longer than the 220g we were looking at getting. My wife has been awesome and she's just as excited! This will probably take us a while to finish and most likely will have changes along the way. If anything, this thread will help us keep track of changes and ideas if anyone has better ones than ours.

Progress thus far:

Basement FISH ROOM! :D:D:D:D
    Knocked out a wall in the basement to create a 24ft x 8 ft. Currently looking at framing, closed-cell foam insulating exterior walls, and putting up mold resistant drywall with painted finish. Also planning to install a dual exhaust fan attached to a humidistat connected to my Apex. Probably going to install a fresh air line with carbon filter for the skimmer. There will be a utility sink with working bench style space for working on corals, etc. Also planning to install R/O and saltwater storage tanks for easy (hopefully automated) water changes. There will be a fish and coral quarantine tanks setup to reduce risk of disease and pests.

The Display (265g)
    For those that have seen our current 125g setup, it's view-able on both long sides with one in a window like cutout that faces our kitchen. Will also be able to view this new tank on the right shorter side. The 265 will be in the same space with another diy stand, and since all the filtration will be in the basement, I plan on making some storage drawer into the stand to hide away things we need for the display so that we don't have to run downstairs for those items.

Currently I am thinking I want to replace/freshen up 2 of the interior silicon seals as they show a bit a wear from the assumed cleaning/scraping of the glass. I've never done this type of seam on a tank, just bathroom/window seals. Any suggestions from anyone that has done this before? Should I do it at all since it's not really the structural seam?

Thanks to everyone and we look forward to sharing our journey with the club!
    Pictures to come soon.

This is how the tank looked when we got it 3 sides painted.

265 before paint removed.jpg

This is progress made

265 cleaned panels.jpg

265 side view cleaned panels.jpg

This is a mockup that we built to compare and use for moving practice. The wood on the left is the exact size of the tank if it was skinned, the 125g is the current tank.

size comparison.jpg

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  2. Tolkein6

Coralville
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Wow...I'm excited for you. Cant wait to see the progression. Is this still 6' but wider and taller?

3. erayk1 Well-Known ReefKeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Coralville, IA
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Let me know if you want to check it out in person. House is all torn apart with Christmas decorations and now tank projects, but you'll get the idea.
    This tank is bigger in all directions. 7ft x 2ft x 30 inches

4. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    WOW!!!! Congratulations!!! I'm excited to watch your progress.

5. Alex McG GIRS Member

Altoona, IA
    Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Thats a big tank!

6. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    How is the build coming along?

Sent from my SM-N975U via App

7. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    Looking great !!! I like everything about my 220 except for the 30” depth.. Being a short guy makes it hard to reach the bottom.

8. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    I am soooo excited to see all of the progress. When you are ready, I’ll have a starter frag for you! Looking forward to what’s to come.

9. Vaughn New User

Quad Cities
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I wish I had something like that! Looking forward to seeing it completed. One suggestion is to at least install an HRV or even better an ERV instead of just an exhaust fan. Your pH and your energy bill will be better for it.

10. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    You know you have a nice sized tank when you have to use a mask and snorkel with your glass scraper. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    We put in a HRV because of the humidity. We will be installing a whole house fan this Spring. The HRV doesnt do as good of a job as we like.

12. Tolkein6

Coralville
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    We have always had a whole house fan in our place. Keeps us from running the AC quite a few days during the year.

13. erayk1 Well-Known ReefKeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Coralville, IA
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Do you have any personal experience with either? I'm still trying to figure out what to run.

14. erayk1 Well-Known ReefKeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Coralville, IA
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    With all of our plants and the current tank, we were fighting humidity this year badly. We picked up a decent dehumidifier until I get things moved to the basement.

15. erayk1 Well-Known ReefKeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Coralville, IA
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    I will have to admit that progress has been reaaaallllly slow due to me being sick for the last month. I just got my R/O setup moved to the basement which was the first step.

16. Vaughn New User

Quad Cities
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    If high humidity inside year round is the issue an HRV would be better. HRVs only transfer sensible heat. There are better ways to remove moisture. HRVs are typically a lower cost than a similar sized ERV.

17. Dave Amelon GIRS Member

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -0
    I am excited about seeing your progress, I have a 300 gallon that I put water in it 13 months ago. It had taken me 5 years to do all the plumbing, electrical and building the stand I still need to build the canopy which I am going to put linear actuators on it so it will raise to the ceiling to make it easier to clean. If you don't mind I would love to someone else's build. Dave

18. Start a thread & post us some pics! :)

You too erayk1! How bout some updates for those of us stuck at home :)

19. erayk1 Well-Known ReefKeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Coralville, IA
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Hey all! The updates are that there currently aren't any updates :(. With the Covid-19, I've been working a lot more and haven't had any time to work on the tank, not that I could get all the requirement plumbing supplies now anyways.

I would like to know, who has a large Rubbermaid style tank (100+ gal) that they are using for a sump? I'm looking at creating divide sections using cut glass or acrylic , but I haven't quite settled on the design. My holdup has been getting glass cut to fit the curved features inside the Rubbermaid, any ideas?

I'd like the sump to include:
    -Middle return section (small enough that I can use an ATO sensor in it that it's not waiting for gallons of evap. before running due to the surface area)
    -Section for filter socks on the Drains
    -Bubble traps going from drain into Skimmer section
    -Skimmer chamber where water level is consistent
    -Possibly a fuge area ( might setup an independent tank for this

I'll take all ideas, pictures, etc. Let's see those sumps!

20. Snowman12145 New User

Oskaloosa
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I don't have one currently but when I did I used an external skimmer which helped with keeping everything pretty good. And no bubble back in return tank. Just kinda built a wall of rock haha. I wanted to do the dividers too but couldn't figure out a good way. One option for the return section could be using a seperate container to glue to bottom of tank or something??? Something outside the box haha.