1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

UNI Tank

Discussion in 'Waterloo / Cedar Falls Area' started by xroads, Oct 27, 2008.

1. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Hey it was cool seeing the UNI tank.
    If Lee wouldnt mind I think it would be a good idea for us to adopt the tank & help him take care of it.  Donate a fish that you dont want in your system anymore,  maybe a frag that your break off in your tank.
    It had the makings of a killer tank, the school wont spend  money on it though. 
    Then maybe we could put a GIRS logo & mission statement beside it.
    Craig

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Wow, great idea!

3. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What kind of lighting does the tank have? I have a few SPS that I could frag for the tank if somebody can get them from IC to the school.

Anna :)

4. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    it think it is four i50 mhs but i could be wrong on the watts

The tank is about 225 gallons or so

It is a nice tank

5. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    It's 4 250 watters I believe.

6. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There is enough light for the lower light sps, but I would stick to easier/ lower maintenence items. Shrooms, xenia, kenya tree, leathers, ricordia, etc. The tank that would get the most attention at UNI would be a typical first reefer tank. A yellow tang, pair of false perculas, anthelia, xenia, shrooms, colt coral, and a big *** toad stool leather.

7. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    WE NEED TO GET A DORI FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It has four 250w hqi's but they are like 2 ft above the surface.. I've mentioned to Maureen many times that we should lower them, but she doesn't always listen to me. I tried lowering them once and somehow broke one of the cable bracket things (not sure what I did wrong) so I've always just left them where they are since nothing in the tank really needs a lot of light anyways.

I've put quite a few pieces of coral from my own tank in it, but I don't think she likes putting random fish in it....but she probably wouldn't say anything if we did just add them anyways. I know she really want's a purple tang, so if anyone did want to donate a fish, make sure it would be compatable with one.

I would gladly accept any frags or corals though, keep in mind the skimmer on the tank sucks so I wouldn't trust putting anything in it other than easy corals. It also doesn't have much flow, so you need to consider that too...oh and the tank gets overgrown with caulerpa after about a week, so zoathoids and mushrooms don't really work out too well.

As far as the GIRS logo and stuff like that, I don't really get the impression that UNI likes to support clubs outside of school, but I can ask if we can hang a flyer or put some cards out in front.

9. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Jeremy's probably got some mojanos he can donate. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

10. Lee

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    maybe they would kill the caulerpa?

11. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Tell them a bigger skimmer is essential to the survival of the tank or will eventually crash & die.

12. Lee

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    lol. I could try that.

If anyone has any mesh to mesh mod it, that would probably help a ton. The skimmer used to be OK but last time I cleaned it, snails had gotten in the impellear and it was missing a bunch of the pins. I think that is the biggest reason why it doesn't work very well.

13. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I had some in the car this last weekend when I was down there. Give me your address and I'll mail you some.