1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Ugly skimmer pics.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vikubz, Sep 16, 2009.

1. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I was doing a water change and decided to post a pic of my DIY skimmer. It is based on the ones promoted by Randy Stacye's web site and is all pvc.
    The body is a 6" riser tube from HD, the pump inlet is 3/4" pvc, the outlet is 1.5" pvc with a gate valve. The pump is a Rio 1700 with a venturi attachment. The collection cup is a plastic quart jar I got at Dollar Tree. I got the uni-seals from bulkreefsupply.com. The extra 3/4" plugs are from when I originally was going to try to do a recirculating skimmer, but there wasn't room in the sump, so it's just a needle wheel with a mesh mod.
    The bottom is supposed to be rubber end cap like you would use on a sewer line, but I couldn't find one of those right off hand, so I glued/siliconed a piece of plexi-glass over the bottom. You'll have to excuse the corralline, and if you had a magnifying glass you would see oodles of baby limpets clinging everywhere.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Pretty cool! Looks like it gets the job done...

--AJ

3. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Neat. How much dd this thing end up coating to build. Looks like you were able to male it with pretty economical parts. What size tank do you have that thing on?

4. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    If I remember correctly the most expensive parts were the neck which is a 3x2 drain fitting, the union which connects the collection cup and the gate valve. The total was probably between 40 and 50 for parts. I have it on a 75 gallon with 55 gallon sump, total volume probably about 100 gallons.