1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Ugh, I think I have an ich problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by h2so4hurts, Dec 20, 2008.

1. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I found about 4 white spots on my blue hippo, powder blue and longnose butterfly fish yesterday.  Now the blue hippo has 8 or so, powder blue 6 and the butterfly fish about 3.  Should I QT these for a few days or just see if it gets any better on it's own.  I have hydrozoa's all over my tank glass (white spots about the same size as are on the fish), so I was thinking (maybe hoping) they're just hydrozoas along for the ride.  I'm going to try to do a freshwater dip tonight to see if I can get rid of the spots.  This is not going to be fun.

2. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    How long have you had these fish? Any new inhabitants lately? What are your params? If there has been nothing new and you have had the fish for a bit then something has stressed them out to bring out the Ick. Are you sure you want to dip already? That can be quite stressful. After your lights go off how many spots do you see? They will be much worse at night if it is ich. In healthy fish, with as few spots as you see now, the fish can fend it off. Do you have any garlic additive? You can make your own out off fresh garlic and soak flake in it. I am a believer that this helps, also Ginger.

If things get any worse I reccomend QT with Copper if you can or Hyposalinity if you have fish that can't take the copper. The fish you mentioned should be able to handle copper but double check. QT all fish. And run reef fallow for 4-8 weeks. A fallow tank througought the lifecycle is the only way to truly get rid of ICH.

I will try to help more after some more info. I hate to admit it but I have beat ICH twice in my Reef years. One about 75% survival and the last 100%.

3. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Over-reacting to ich is the worst thing you can do. I wouldn't do anything for a few days. Check your water, if anything I would add some garlic to the food and make sure they eat a couple times a day. Sit back and take it slow, everything in this hobby takes time.

4. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I saw the ich starting on my two blue tangs and got worried, then was starting to work on lowering my salinity from 1.026 to 1.023 and with a few days the ich was gone.

5. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, the spots are gone on the longnose and powder blue this morning. I can't see my blue hippo, which had it the worst. I could only catch the powder blue last night so I dipped it for 4 mins. It looks like that helped. The spots on the fins are gone now but it looks like they've been replaced by like a milky white streak. Odd. They've all been behaving normally and eating like crazy. I'll try the garlic tonight. My green chromis and clowns are unaffected. When should I start the QT with copper? When they start acting funny? Breathing heavy?
    Salinity 1.023
    Nitrate 0
    Nitrite 0
    Ammonia 0
    Calcium 440
    Alk 3.5
    Mag 1400
    I just did a water change on wednesday. The powder blue tang was added a week ago (Hung said I didn't need to QT it...)

6. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I am sure you did this in QT and not in your reef. But just so someone else doesn't read this and do it, Never use Hypo salinity on a reef, your corals cannot take it. 1.023 isn't enought to effect it ICH parasite you have to get down around 1.009 or so to kill it.

7. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Good water params but your salinity is low. Not enough to cause ich to surface I don't think. Are you using a float arm hydrometer or refractometer? Are they calibrated?  I would get more nervous if at night the fish are covered with the salt grain sized ICH. Tangs especially blue are very susceptable but if healthy and params are good will fight it off.
    You have to remember that the methods we use to fight ICH are very stressful and make the situation immediately worse before it gets better. It is best to try to let the fish fight it of themselves if possible and not too far gone.
    Read as much as possible on the internet, read many things to get a consensus. Even my advice you want to verify from others like Jason. Know your enemy, learn its life cycle. It helps dramaticllay so you know what you are up against. Here is one good article:
    http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-.../index.php
    Good luck and keep us posted.

8. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The spots definitely don't get worse at night. WHen the lights are off I can't even see the spots. The blue hippo came out and some of the spots are gone while others are big and fuzzy looking. I fed them some garlic marinated mysis about an hour ago and they all devoured it. There are no behavior, eating, or gill issues. Just white spots on the body and a few on the fins.

9. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hung said to raise the tank temp to 80 and only feed them garlic soaked flake food. If it isn't getting better in 3 days (tomorrow night) I should QT with copper.

10. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The big and fuzzy spots have me concerned. That sounds more like a fungus than ICH. Unless the ICK has caused some damage and now fungus has set in. Hungs plan sounds like a good one if it is truly ICH. Good luck.

11. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It seems like they get big and fuzzy right before they disappear

12. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I raised the temp to 81 (that made a couple of my corals unhappy), but the spots are now gone on the powder blue and there are fewer on my blue hippo and they're much smaller. We'll see how they look tomorrow, but I'm optimistic! Thanks again for all of the help guys.

13. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The fish all looked cured when I left for Christmas to visit some family, but yesterday the fins of the tangs, the butterfly, and two of my chromis had white specs... I have set up a qt tank, but the powder blue now recognizes that the net isn't her friend and the hippo hides itself in its cave. I made a tang trap to try to get the tangs tonight, but I'm also preparing for a rock deconstruction tonight... 25w UV sterilizer is on order. Looks like they'll be living in my 30g QT for a few weeks.

14. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That was a huge pain in the ***. I hope my corals aren't too pissed about being moved around a bit tonight. I got all of them in the QT. Well, the clowns are still in the display tank because they never got infected, but they super easy to catch if they get infected. I think I'm going to ask hung for a loaner UV sterilizer until mine gets here.

15. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    If you are going to QT, QT every fish and run your tank fallow for 4-8 weeks. It is a HUGE waste to only qt some if you can get them all. The parasite is living in that tank and the clowns will be the host and the parasite will continue. They have to have a host to live. This is the only way you can get rid of it forever.
    I don't know how to say it any plainer. Please read up on the parasite and you will see what I mean. I forget where it is between 4-8 weeks. It seems like maybe 6-8 but I forget. If you can get those clowns into QT, DO IT NOW!

16. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, my bad on that one. I'll get the clowns out tonight. That's going to be one crowded QT tank...

17. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Cool! It is a really tough thing to do, but keep your main tank fallow for the complete life cycle of the organism. It is worth it in the end. Look it up in one of those articles. I can help you find another good article if the one I sent doesn't say.

18. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've read a bunch of them, but some say that unaffected fish can stay in the tank. Others say it is nearly impossible to "cure" a fish once its infected because the parasite goes dormant in the gill mucus and can be reactivated after stress. Looks like they get to spend 4 weeks in QT either way.

19. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, they're all in the QT tank now. What should I feed my display tank while the fish are in QT? Keep the same feeding schedule or switch it to something else??

20. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    That's a good question. I assume you have a clean up crew so you need to feed them. So I would either feed less or less often. If you fed every day, I would maybe feed the same every three days. Or feed 1/2 to 1/3 as much.
    I am just shooting from the hip here though, anyone else have an opinion?