1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Typhoon III Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bela, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just got one of these used on eBay with fresh filters for 50 bucks... what a steal. But I am not here to brag, I had a few questions as I had not used an RO/DI unit ever before, I always had to lug bottles from an LFS or something like that. Anyway, the questions....
    1.) I followed all instructions which I found in pdf from from Air water and Ice's website. All went well, dumped the first 1 hour of water production. For fun I did a quality test and the TDS was 0 almost instantly after I started the unit up (referring to water produced during the first our which was just going down the drain). I then have tested water after that and keep getting a reading of 4 TDS. not bad, but not 0, and everything on the website would indicate that I SHOULD be seeing 0. Am I doing something wrong?
    2.) There is a canister on the top of the unit (I assume the DI) which has a valve where water can exit. This is not where the instructions said to plug the output (cleaned water). In fact the insctructions all but omitted it. I am wondering if this is actually the DI unit and I am actually bypassing it or something? I would post a pic but I am not sure how to do that. If anybody has any experience with the unit and can answer these questions, I will greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks!
    ~ Bela

2. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bela, the canister on top is the membrane, the water will flow through the first 3 filters, then it should go to the filter on top,(the membrane). It will have 2 outputs on one end, one is the purified water and the other is the waste water. The purified water should then go to your Deionizer, (unless you have a TDS meter,or a DI bypass valve, whitch it sounds like it does) they would get hooked up next, then the Deionizer.
    Have I got ya confused yet..LOL
    The Deionizer is the last filter, it has what looks like little grains of sand in it!
    Hope this helps!!
    -Rick-

3. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That seems to all makes sense. What about the TDS. Is 5 pretty normal for all new filters? How come so many people state they are able to get 0-1?
    ~ Bela

4. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ACtually some of the Typhoon III's have 3 outputs. Mine does anyway. One is for RO only output, on dor RODI output, and the black line is the drain.

I love having the RO only output as it allows me to run that line to a pressure tank which runs to a faucet for drinking water and also runs to my ice maker.

5. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Waverz on 03/27/2009 12:16 PM
    ACtually some of the Typhoon III's have 3 outputs. Mine does anyway. One is for RO only output, on dor RODI output, and the black line is the drain.
    I love having the RO only output as it allows me to run that line to a pressure tank which runs to a faucet for drinking water and also runs to my ice maker. Sweet, I wish my had 3.
    What TDS meter do you have? 
    I get 3-4 before the DI filters and 0 after. ( I have dual DI). 
    The 2 filters on the left are the DI filters, the right one is about used up!
    [​IMG]

6. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes I figured it out... mine does have 3 as well. The "mystery" one was an RO only, which is good because I bought a small holding tank for drinking water. Now I have another question. The output valve on the holding tank has a threaded outlet with a needle, kind of looks like the air inlet to a car tire if you were to fill it at the gas station or something. The inlet just allows me to plug one of the tubes right into it but I am not quite sure what I need to get the water out now /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/ermm.gif
    Any suggestions?/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/blush.gif

7. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The TDS filter I have is a little hand-held pen style deal. It is the one that Air Water and Ice ships with the unit :)

8. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    you pressurize the holding tank with air, the water fills the tank with creates an opposite pressure. pretty easy once you get it worked out, just make sure to check with the manufacturer to see what psi to inflate the bladder in the holding tank so you don't overfill

9. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think it is pressurized already, at least it claims to be. So I know how to get the water in... how about out? lol

10. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    What you need to do is hook the out RO output directly to the top of the pressure tank. Then you will need a "T" in the line that goes to a faucet or icemaker or whatever. You will also need a check valve somewhere before the "T" so you don't pressurize your RO unit. DO NOT try to add air to your pressure tank, i did this once and ruptured the membrane inside. Unless you have let air out already you shouldn't need to mess with it.
    Once its hooked up it should just fill up on its own.

11. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks a bunch for the help. before I read the post I went to Lowe's and got some things by just taking a length of tubing and seeing what I could find, since I didn't know the names of these parts. The check valve is a good idea... didn't think of it. Guess I will have to go get one tomorrow. Luckily I have not yet hooked anything up, else I think I may have had problems by morning.
    Once again, thanks so much for the help.