1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

TV out help. (PC to TV)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Untamed Waters, Apr 9, 2009.

1. So, I'll be getting a new TV, a 42" LCD upstairs, with which I will use an HDMI cord to connect the PC to the monitor and use it as a secondary monitor, and I want to use our tube with my laptop downstairs, I have a VGA port on my laptop, so do I just need to buy a VGA to S-Video cord and switch it to the right aux, or what? Any other cords I'll need?

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Should work fine with the VGA>S Video cable, depending on what your doing, you might need a 1/8" stereo > RCA for audio.
    I get all my cables from monoprice.com they have awesome prices!

3. So you think just the cable should be fine, or would I need some converter box for the signal?

4. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just want to point out that your resolution from your TV (tube) is much lower than the resolution of PC screens, even crt pc screens. I am only pointing this out to avoid possible disappointment in case you have never seen a PC running on a standard def TV. Things like word processing or anything with finer definition needed is a pain if not impossible, in my opinion. Not saying this is a bad idea, I just wanted to add my two cents about my experiences.

5. I understand, it's more for internet and watching movies on my TV.

6. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Good point on the resolution, i have my PC hooked up to my 42" and have the exact opposite problem, running at 1920 x 1080 is hard on the peepers, movies look awesome but navigating windows and web gives me a headache from squinting so much. LOL

7. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I gave up playing computer games with tons of text (ie WoW, lol) because of this very issue HAHA

8. Haha, on the new 42 that's going to have the Tower hooked up to it, it going to be running runescape. (My mom is a runescape nerd... o_O)