1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tunze vibration noise

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lee, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I just put water in my 20 tall and turned on my 6055.  The vibration from the pump is pretty loud.  If I take it off the clip, you can barely hear it running.  Anyone have any ideas how to quiet it down?  I was thinking of maybe putting some acrylic inbetween the glass and the magnet.  I never noticed the noise when I had it running on the 125.

2. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's weird...My 6055 was solid when I had it. By chance, is your clip broken? That's the only thing I can think of is the clip isn't holding down the pump like it should.

3. heartben

heartben Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    put something soft between the glass and the pump... my 6025 is quiet without anything but ive heard of people putting some sort of cloth or something between the magnet and the glass...

4. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They come with the little rubber bumpers for the magnets; did they come off or something? I can't hear them at all, so I'd think the bumpers of missing or maybe the clips is messed up somehow.....

5. Lee

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't think the clip is broken its the newer clip and its attached solid. As far as the rubber bumpers, i'm not sure. I did struggle to get the magnets seperated, so if there were some sort of pading, it's possible it fell off and I lost it. these magnets are REALLY strong, I got the skin of my finger caught betweeb them and boy did it hurt, it took me awhile before I could seperate them too.

I do have a sock on the outside magnet which helped slightly, but still loud!

another possibility could be I messed something up with the pump when I cleaned it. Maybe I bent the shaft or something.

6. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Check the clip carefully. Some of them have small stress cracks on them that are hard to see unless you bend them back a bit. You miight want to check for the stainless steel washer that sits in between the shaft and impeller. If you're missing the washer, your impeller might not be seated correctly.

7. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Those Tunze do have the most amazingly strong magnets.  I got the edge of a finger caught between the two and If I had not had a screwdriver close, I was going to have to run to the neighbors house to get it apart.  I have a lot of respect for them now and always keep my fingers clear.

8. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They're supposed to come with 8 little rubber bumpers, which you have to apply yourself. If you never did that, then I'd check the box, if you still have it and see if they're still in there. You can buy the little bumpers in the 3M display at most stores, although I doubt they're the exact size that fit into the little circle areas on the magnet, but you could probably cut them to make them work. Or, you could probably get more from Tunze, if you wanted to go through the hassle /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

9. Lee

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    washer is there, no cracks that I can see. No rubber feet either, I bet they fell off.

10. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    there you go, that's got to be the source of your vibration noise then. I bet you can find some retail for your needs.  Possibly a craft oriented store might have more choices ?    Like Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc. 

11. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  12. Lee

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks for everyones help!