1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tuesday Tank Talk: (Non-Aquatic) Bugs!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by corey.nolta, Aug 8, 2017.

1. corey.nolta

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Now that the weather is nice and the bugs are out full force, what is the weirdest (or normal) bug you have ever found in your tank? Did you fish it out or just leave it be? One time occurrence or all the time?

It seems in the past two months I am ALWAYS finding some sort of bug in my tank or sump. Mainly sump. Typically it is just a fly, but I have had a bee, a lady bug, and a few ants. I'm at my tank enough that they are still floating on the top so I can scoop them out with relative ease. However there is a fly that has sunk to the bottom of the tank that has been in there a few days. It's in a weird spot that I can't reach with my hands or grabber. I figure eh, it's not going to hurt anything. I think it's from the sump light. I have it on a reverse schedule so at night it attracts any creatures that are out and about.
    Never a boring moment!

2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Honestly I don't know that I have ever found a bug in my tank.

3. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Yeah I can't say I've found anything weird in my tank either, which is a bit odd actually. Maybe the fish eat it too fast! I'm pretty sure my dog gets to the floor surfers before I even know they're gone.

4. corey.nolta

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Weird. Maybe it's not as common as I was thinking it would be

Sent from my iPhone via App

5. danmgray Well-Known ReefKeeper

Sioux City, IA
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I think I've found a fly or box elder bug once or twice and various beetles on a few occasions-maybe a June bug in early summer, imported longhorn weevils in mid-late summer and Asian beetles in early fall. I usually remove the bugs when I notice them.
    I vaguely recall losing some SW fish in college (~20 years ago) or at least worrying about it because my roommates were intentionally catching flies and trying to feed then to my fish.

6. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    This spring I had a trail of ants coming through my foundation into the stand around the sump. I treated for ants around the parameter of my home outside and it stopped the brigade but ended up with a bunch of dead ones in and around my sump. I think a lot of them died when they got into the salt creep before I treated.

7. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    The only bugs I have found in the tank that haven't been eaten are box elder bugs - the fish don't like their flavoring, I guess.

I used to live in an apartment that had a centipede problem in the utility closet - those would get grabbed and tossed into my FW tank where the Buenos Ares tetras would gobble them up.

8. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    My tanks are all covered so I really have not found any bugs in them. I did find tiny little black bugs in some salt I had in the garage. I have no idea what kind of bug would be in salt? I will make sure the container is closed tighter from now on. I usually put the lid on the bucket and it is fine but this last time the bucket came cracked to pieces.

9. Deleted member 1172

Deleted member 1172 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    When I was living in Fort Dodge, I'd get box elder bugs in my tank almost daily. Fish never touched them, however! In my crappier apartment in Urbandale, I'd get all sorts of critters falling in the tank. But that's because I pretty much lived in the basement. It wasn't uncommon to catch a centipede, millipede, or spider in the tank on the regular.

Edit: When I kept dart frogs, I'd raise fruit flies. They got in one of my tanks also, but the fish ate them!