1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tri color valida

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FishBrain, Apr 28, 2009.

1. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    My tri color seems to have lost some of it's bright coloring the last week or so. All the other corals are normal just as bright as ever. I have tested and all levels are normal the only test kit I don't have and have never tested for is magnesium would low magnesium cause this to happen? The only other thing I have done different is I have started to add bakeing soda around a month ago I am useing arm and hammer. any help would be greatly appreciated.
        Thank You
          Bill

2. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What are you adding baking soda for. I used to use that, but I would mix in RO water and top off the tank with it, but I was using it to help raise my ALK.

3. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    To maintane alkalinaty. I have been adding about 2 teaspons a week.

4. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Check the undersides of the coral for bitemarks, could be AEFW.

5. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How has the coral lost it's color? Has the color faded, paled, or changed to brown? How about polyp extension?

6. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    It has paled and polyp extention is poor. All other sps are bright and happy with great polyp extention. I don't think it is AEFW Wavers no bite marks that I can see.

7. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    my tricolor doesn't even have polyps that i have seen.....maybe i'm not looking hard enough, its really oranageish brown

8. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    It was magnesium. I got a test kit today and some magnesium and tested and it is way low like around 800ppm so I am going to do some water changes and add the mag tell I get it straightened out. I hope my tri color comes back from the brink. It was doing very well tell I started adding backing soda. I think I added to much at once.

9. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Wow I guss I should read the instructions a little better next time. The mag was and is fine I was reading the results backwards. Luckaly the DT's mag is way weak the whole 16oz bottle only raises mag by 24 ppm in my system.