1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Transfering to another tank....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gb387, Apr 28, 2009.

1. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just that any tips on transferring to another tank?  I managed to find a 120 gallon RR so I will be moving all my stuff from my 90 (not reef ready) to a 120 RR.  The good part about this shuffle....  I am going to be setting the 120 up in a different location than the 90 in my living room (about 5 feet away).
    My plan is to add a thin layer of new sand to the 120, start to move the live rock, coral and sand over very carefully.  I plan on using all the water from my 90, pumping it over with a MJ1200 and topping off with all new.  I was also thinking to not use the sump (closing all the valves) for the next week or two, then add new water to the sump and get it up and working.  I wasn't sure if adding all the new water would cause an issue so thus the idea of not using the sump initially.  I have all the equipment to run either with the sump or without.
    Any thoughts suggestions/tips would be a big help!!!
    Brandon

2. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Why not just transfer the sump to the new tank?

3. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I would transfer the sump right away.

4. dewdad

dewdad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

pm sent

5. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jtesdall on 04/28/2009 10:12 PM
    Why not just transfer the sump to the new tank?
    My current setup does not have a sump - I wasn't sure if the 60 or so more gallons of water that I will be adding would cause a problem.  That was the thought behind the 30 then another 30.  I am fairly new to this so help me out!  [​IMG]

6. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I think it would be fine if you use most of the water from your old tank.

7. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    You could use the sump, but don't use a powerful return right away so it mixes slowly. Try using your maxijet. I have two maxijets for my returns and they can pump it at least 6 foot high. You could get some extra pads for where the water enters the sump to get rid of a bunch of the dirty water that you'll get from disturbing the sand.