1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Total tank loss :(

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by erayk1, Dec 21, 2020.

Tags:
  1. erayk1 Well-Known ReefKeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Coralville, IA
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Sad times for my wife and I... :cry::cry:

Unfortunately we lost our entire tank during a move to a new house. We thought we were golden because the previous owners allowed us to setup a temporary tank and move all the contents prior to closing on the new house, but the outlet we used had a complete failure a day or so after setup in the new house. We didn't have any way of knowing of the power loss due to lack of internet, plus everything was setup on apex so we felt pretty confident we could go the week and a half without issue since everything was automated.

About 4 to 5 days later I went to check on the tank and it just smelled of death immediately, nothing was alive that we could see, but in a last ditch effort we hooked up a larger canister filter crammed full of carbon to see if we could save anything and plugged the tank into a different outlet (different breaker entirely). The tank ran smoothly and started to clear up a couple days later, but then we went back 2 days before our close to find the tank was off again.

This time it failed due to some incorrect wiring in the outlet box that the previous owner had done... :mad: I really think if anything had survived the first power outage, it was dead after the second outage. Also I will be having the wiring redone for that entire line.

So all in all we lost a 125g tank full of SPS, LPS and some softies and all the fish we went through the rigorous quarantine process with. This is first for me and I completely understand the thoughts of getting out of the hobby after such a loss, but thankfully my wife has decided she doesn't want us to give up!

Trying to look at the bright side, we will now be setting up the 265g in our new home and starting fresh. We'll be on the hunt for corals and fish sometime in the hopefully not so distant future.

• Uh oh! Not good! Uh oh! Not good! x 3
    • List
  2. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    So sorry to hear that. When the time comes, I'd be happy to donate you a few frags.

3. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    Sorry to hear that Elliot. It will come back bigger and better. Congratulations on new home.

4. Dave Amelon GIRS Member

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -0
    Sorry to hear that, I may not have what you want but I do have a green candy canes, a few zoas, spaghetti mushroom, birds of Paradise, devil hand, frog spawn, red monte cap for you together back started. Free for you if you want one. Never know maybe mine will crash.

5. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    Heartbreaking!
    Make the most of it that you can. You know all those times you said to yourself, "If I had to do that over I would..."?...Here's your chance!

6. gburkart

gburkart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    man 2020........i am so over it.i am sorry about your loss of life in the tank.

7. erayk1 Well-Known ReefKeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Coralville, IA
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone! These responses are one of the reasons I've really enjoyed this club through the years. Obviously I never wish this on anyone with a tank, but it's nice having a good group to lean on.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. I'm glad 2020 is just about done as well!

8. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Dang man!!! This sucks!!

9. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    Just seeing this and so sorry for the tank loss. It makes it hard to stay in the hobby, but really happy to help another club member. When you are ready for corals, let me know and @Trey Galetich@Trey Galetich and I will make sure we have something to help start the tank ready for you.