1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

TOTAL newbie intro.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Untamed Waters, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Well, my name is Daniel, I'm just thinking about getting into it, My brother has an account on here and I was kinda browsing around and saw some real cool stuff. I haven't ever really considered or thought about starting an aquarium, but after looking at reef aquariums (Please, tell me if any of my terminology is off.) I was thinking "Yeah, I wanna do one of those!" At this point I actually have nothing, however I know a guy from a class last term who told me that he'd sell me his aquarium that he never did anything with for fifteen dollars. (It's a twenty gallon tank) The tank also has not been leak tested, but for 15 bucks, not bad. Don't know if it's glass either. I've been reading through other sites (Mainly
    http://www.reefcentral.com
    Also, what else will I need to get stared? (Prices would be great too, I'm not sure how much I'll need. And I know is "all depends" But good stuff, but not necessarily near top of the line.)

2. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the club and a lot of us on here started off just like you not too long ago.

First of all, fill that tank with water and see if it leaks or not. If it doesn't leak you'll just need some basic equipment at first with some live rock. A heater, filter, and lights. I would recommend softies at first until you'll feel comfortable for more delicate corals. To set you up with live rock and equipment should be around 200 to 400 bucks, just matters what brand and if you buy used or new.

BTW, who's your brother and where are you from?

3. I think his tag is fnvarner, and we're both from CR.
    EDIT : By the way, thanks for the response. I'll likely be LOOKING to start when I move here in about a month.

4. REEFer Madness

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you're Nick's brother then why doesn't he just let you loot the store?

5. Haha, Well it's not his. I actually haven't even talked to him about it yet, Prolly do it the next time I see him. I'm thinking if he doesn't see this topic (I don't know how often he signs on) I'll drop him a visit at the store in the next couple days or so.

6. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Welcome!

My best advice to you ( being new to aquariums) is to study, study and study some more!!

There are lots of good books out there to help you under stand what is needed, and why things are needed. And of coarse this web site!![​IMG]
    Just take your time and learn all you can before you take the plunge. The more you know the fewer mistakes you will make!!
    -Rick-

7. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the site! Your brother should be able to help you with everything, but all of us here will also be very helpful. I don't know if I would have claim Franklin as my brother but, he is a good friend of mine and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

8. Yeah, it is a shame that I have to claim him as my brother. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif Thanks.

B-Rad - Any specific sites or books that would go over the basic basics?

9. REEFer Madness

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The New Marine Aquarium is really good for a 1st book.

10. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the site. Be aware that the tank is one of the cheapest things that you will buy in this hobby....but with Nick around, he should be able to help you find most things either at a discount, used for cheap or maybe even free. Good luck and as the rest have said, take your time and read up on things...and don't be surprised when you see conflicting information....it's all over the place. Ask questions...it's one of the best ways to learn. Good luck!

--AJ

11. Which Forum would be the best to ask questions on?

12. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ok smart *** you can pick your friends but not your family. and you know i will help get this going for you if thats what you want. call me to talk

13. Thanks Nick.
    Mind if I drop by the pet store on monday or tuesday to talk?

14. REEFer Madness

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Gee, I wonder who's the older bully brother????

15. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    thats right i trained him well. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif
    yeah thats fine but you can always call me and just give me a couple weeks and i will find everything you need. ive got it planned as far as filters and lighting i am still thinking, im going to call on a filter for it in the morning

16. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By REEFer Madness on 03/14/2009 05:38 PM
    The New Marine Aquarium is really good for a 1st book.
    REEFer is right, this was my first book, also Natural Reef Aquariums (simplified Approaches to creating living saltwater microcosms) John H. Tullock, and Anthony Calfo's (Book of coral propagation).
    These are all great books, that have all the basics. Calfo's book is probably my favorite.
    Hope this helps you out.
    -Rick-  

17. Ok, I'll have to see what I can do to see about at least one of those books, and once again - thanks nick, even if you are the older bully brother. :)

18. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey, welcome to the club. It looks like you are getting some good advise already. apjohnson is right about the cost. You'll spend 1/3 of the cost of that tank just filling it with salt water, but you won't find anyone here that will tell you it isn't worth it. We are having a tank tour in CR on the 21st. The event is for members only but we offer one free event for non-members, Send CyberJester a PM in you want to come on the tour, it would be good for you to see some established setups before you put your own together.
    ~caleb

19. That's cool - I just put up a post about it, I'd like to check it out. I'd definitely become a member if I think it'd be a worthwhile hobby - twenty bucks a year isn't a thing.

20. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You welcome to come on the CR tank tour. 
    \All non-members get a one time event pass to see what it is that they are paying for.
    However, now knowing that Nick is your brother, I must put a condition on it.
    You must be better looking then Nick, that is one ugly dude.
    Two people that look like him is far to many before drinking!
    Just kidding Nick, told you you should have cut me a deal on that coral!