1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

To those I sold clams to at the swap

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    When I got home from the swap a couple weeks ago I was not happy to find one of my clams had kicked the bucket.  Before I left I had noticed that my yellow tang had nipped at its mantle, but I thought it odd that it keeled over so quickly. 
    A week later I killed a polyclad flatworm on an LPS frag, didn't know until just now that they prey on clams.  Thought I'd let everyone know (I am pretty sure this includes bigblue and lee) to check their clams at night and make sure none made their way into your tanks.  It was probably just one that took out my clam.  All the others were doing great up to the swap so I doubt that there are any problems. 

2. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good lookng out man.......but I didn't get one of your clams.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    oops.

4. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the warning, i think the other two people were jbrunken and wes. What do they look like?

5. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    So far, the clam I got from you seems to be doing great.

-JB

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They actually look an awful lot like the mantle of a squamosa clam (go figure). 

When I saw it on a lithophyllon frag it took me a couple minutes just to decide if there was really anything there, and the frag was just an inch under the surface of the water, so they can be damned hard to see.  They basically look like this, though. 
    http://www.wetwebmedia.com/WormPIX/FlatwormPIX/Flatworm_id2.JPG
    I really doubt there would be any problems with the others, as I had had them just as long as I'd had this one but had no problems with the others.

7. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for letting us know Ryan. Any Idea what eats the flat worms? I'd think treating would probably be out of the question now. I Doubt mine had any but then again it might of. The clam I got is doing great so far.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As far as I know, nothing eats the flatworms. These things do get really big and I imagine easier to see with time. The one I found was only an inch or so, I've seen photos of them 4+". IF they're there, you should be able to see them at one time or another if you look for them.

9. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK and thanks again for letting me know. I'll be on the look out.

10. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Wow, good camoflage on those guys.