1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

To the people with BB`s: Do you have a cleanup crew?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PotRoast, Jul 16, 2008.

1. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    If so, what does your clean up crew consist of?

If you do maintain a clean up crew, is there any specific creatures you would avoid using for whatever reason? If so, why?

2. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I stick with the basics regardless if I was doing a BB, SB or DSB tank. I use cerith and astrea snails.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had 12 astreas in a 120, plus asterina stars.

I don't think a clean up crew, if managed right, should need "maintained"- which seems to mean "rebuy everything regularly"

4. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a 70 and I have 6 astreas and 12 ceriths.

I also now have seemingly millions (prob 75-100) of stomatella snails which I just noticed in the tank like a week ago. Most of them are roughly the size of a pinhead, however one of them is larger than my cerith snails!! I have no idea where they came from, but I did see them spawning the other day, so its clear they're here to stay..

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There's nothing better than a free cleanup crew!

6. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was at Hung's yesterday asking him about a clean-up crew for my 120. He said 4-5 dozen blue legged crabs and 4-5 dozen turbo snails. That sounds like a lot of inverts, but he's pretty trustworthy. Any thoughts on this?

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't think hermits are worth having around. Maybe a couple to add some interest, but definitely not blue legs as my astrea dieoff dropped to 1-2/yr after I got rid of mine and nothing about my tank cleanliness changed.

8. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, hermits are just a good conversation piece. Example: Dang it he killed another snail. Now look, the little bastard just knocked all of my fresh frags into the back of the rock work...

As for my tank, I do not and will not have any hermits. Snails are ok as long as they stay off the rocks.