1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

to drill or not to drill

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marcalo, May 25, 2009.

1. Marcalo

Marcalo Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I recently acquired a 20g long it is an old tank my educated guess is 15 years+ it has no labels or markings at all? I would like to drill 4 holes 2 near the bottom on the back side to drain into a 10g refuge/sump and 1 or 2 elsewhere for water going back in. Anyone have any ideas for me?

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I think you'd be fine drilling it as long as they are on the side and not the bottom, but 4 holes might be a lot for a 20 long.

I'd drill 2 holes in the back, one on each side near the top, and build a DIY overflow. They are easy to make with a specimin container and a dremel, or llebcire posted a great design for one in another thread just last week.

If you drill holes near the bottom, you run the risk of draining your tank if there is a problem.

-JB

3. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know that in early 2008, you guys had a tank drilling meeting. Anyone care to post tips on tank drilling? I know that you need a diamond glass hole saw and that you need to keep the drilling process under water, but I'm sure that there are tips to drilling that would increase your odds for successfully drilling your tank without breaking it. Thanks!

--AJ

4. xmasia

xmasia Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i dont think the bottom is tempered so i would drill 1 in the bottom center close to back so you could put in a overflow box with a durso stand pipe.then drill 2 holes on the back towards the top one on each side then get a scwd http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_1...arent_id=6  go 1in hole for drain 3/4 for returns. glass drill bits on ebay cheap may be a member that has some. you tube has video as other sites do also on drilling tanks.good luck post a build thread.

5. Marcalo

Marcalo Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all of the Ideas,  I will be posting some pics tomorrow. I don't know if anyone will want to follow along on my build but I will certainly post pics of my progress for anyone who wants to. Also if anyone would like to help me drill the holes perhaps if you need anything band or table sawed you could certainly bring it over and use my stuff the bandsaw works wonders on plexxie glass.