1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

To drill or not to drill...that is the question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AJ, Dec 10, 2008.

1. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey folks,  I have a few frags of zoas that I would like to have growing on my rock instead of on plugs shoved into the sand.  Anything that's not firmly affixed gets plowed over by my crabs and snails, so the question becomes how to firmly affix them to the rocks.  I had initially planned on drilling holes in the rock and putting the frag plugs into the holes.  That would allow me to move things around if I needed to, but would only work for those on plugs.  The problem with that is that I would need to take the rock out to do that and disrupt everything...and potentially keep it out of water for a while...and finally, there's always the risk of cracking the rock.  The other option would be to just scrape them off of the plugs and glue them right to the rock.  That gives me less flexibility on moving them, but I believe that the glue that I have cures underwater so the out of water time would be really short.  Aside from cutting something that's not supposed to be cut (i.e the coral or my fingers), what's the negatives to scraping them off the plugs.  I'm sure there's lot of other things that I'm not considering also.
    How do the rest of you do this?  Do you just find a hole in the rock and leave the coral growing on the frag plug or do you scrape it off and glue it on permanantly?
    I'm sure that different people will have their own preference so if you could also say why you like a particular method, that would be very helpful for me in deciding how I will move forward.
    Thanks everyone!
    --AJ

2. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Why not dremel them off of the plugs (Keep them attached to a small piece of the plug that's visually covered when the zoa opens) and then glue that to the rock.

3. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's certainly another option.  I can't say that I thought of that...duh.  I assume that's your preferred option for getting your frags placed?

4. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Dude, break of the nipple part of the plug and get some epoxy and epoxy the entire plug to the rock...

5. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, I've heard that twice now so it sounds like that's the preferred approach.  Thanks guys!
    --AJ