1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

To bare or not to bare

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jwess, Jan 3, 2009.

1. jwess

jwess

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ill soon be getting a new 120RR.  Its going to be the 48".  I currently have a 75 so everything should be able to switch over just fine.  Maybee a bigger power head though.  I want to kind of make a bonsai reefscape as seen on the SPS thread on RC.  Im also trying to decide wether or not to go bare or use sand.  I like the looks of both but just cant decide.  I also realize I may just be beating a dead horse because I know this has been discussed several times before.  Im reaching out for some local opions. 
    Josh

2. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you are going to go barebottom I would make sure you have a LOT of flow as the key to BB is keeping all of the waste suspended through flow...and then having the skimmer filter it out.

eins

3. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    I like sand.
    I like that bansia tank too, did you see this one on there today?
    http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1542772

4. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I like my BB, no worrys about scratching the glass and easy to clean up anything that settles on the bottom. The glass quickly gets covered with coraline, and mine is half covered with GSP anyways. I like the look of sand, but BB seems easier.

5. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    let me know when are u going to get it. i will be willing to help you do the switch