1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

TitanTV Beta

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JB, Apr 6, 2009.

1. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    As a few of you know, I work for TitanTV.
    We've recently completed a new version our publc TV listings site and we will be rolling out a beta in the next week or so.   In the mean time, we are inviting a few people to try it out before we go to a full public beta so we can work out any major kinks.
    Anyway, give it a try:
    http://beta.titantv.com/
    It's an easy way to quickly find out what's on television and it's totally free.
    -JB

2. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks good. Any plans on making an iPhone or mobile version?

3. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks.

We're always looking at mobile functionality, but with the development time involved, it can be tough to get a decent ROI.

-JB

4. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice! I am just thinking it would be a handy thing to be able to pop up this list on the blackberry or iphone (or whatever else) while you are sitting there watching the tube :)

5. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jbrunken on 04/06/2009 09:55 AM
    As a few of you know, I work for TitanTV.
    We've recently completed a new version our publc TV listings site and we will be rolling out a beta in the next week or so.   In the mean time, we are inviting a few people to try it out before we go to a full public beta so we can work out any major kinks.
    Anyway, give it a try:
    http://beta.titantv.com/
    It's an easy way to quickly find out what's on television and it's totally free.
    -JB
    Seems to load rather fast (vs. tvguideonline.com) and the colors are easy to navigate.
    I use Mediacom in N.Liberty and the listings only go to channel 78 (basic) - will the non-beta version include the upper channels?
    -Eric

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm, all of the channels should be there. Are you using regular cable or digital cable? Can you give me some examples of channels that are missing? I'll bring it up with our data guys on monday and see what's going on.

Thanks for the feedback.

-JB

7. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jbrunken on 04/11/2009 05:25 PM
    Hmmm, all of the channels should be there. Are you using regular cable or digital cable? Can you give me some examples of channels that are missing? I'll bring it up with our data guys on monday and see what's going on.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    -JB
    JB-
    I'm using digital cable and it (Titan) stops @ channel 78.
    TV Guide online goes to 892, digital channels start @ 802 (after all of the music channels which it shows).
    For more info, try going to www.tvguideonline.com and entering your zip then choose Mediacom to see how many channels are listed.
    I like to use pics (I heard they're worth a thousand words!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    -Eric

8. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Double check and make sure that you're not looking at a normal (analog) cable lineup in Titan. I gave it a try and when I pick an analog mediacom lineup for CR, it goes up to 78, but when I pick a digital lineup, it goes up to 892.

If you click the "Manage" button at the top of the grid (to the right of the lineup name) it will give you more information about the lineup. It should say either "Cable" or "Digital Cable".

-JB

9. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

I'm sure you're right!

In order for me to make those changes, I need to sign up for a "free" account which I'll ASSume will use push technology to inform me of special offers [​IMG], otherwise known as:
    [​IMG]
    On a side note - I've noticed something interesting regarding all the pics I post:
    If I Right Click->Copy an image (which I usually do as it's faster than inserting code), I can only insert it into the thread by Right Clicking->Paste in the body, if I use the shortcut Control->V - I get a "v".
    Strange, huh?
    -Eric

10. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Actually no, you don't need to be logged in. You can do basic lineup management without an account, you just can't edit the channels in the lineup. You can however add/remove/rename lineups.

And just for the record. TitanTV never sells email addresses. In the 7 years I've been there we've never done it and we don't have any plans to. We don't even use the email to occasionally promote our own services like we should.

-JB

11. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Eric,

Just click the add button and click the icon for digital.

JB, maybe name the "cable" icon "Cable (Analog)" and the digital icon "Cable (Digital)"

It's a decent site, but being a digital cable user really don't have a use for an on-line cable guide. I could see how porting this to mobile would be extremely useful though. That really should be on your radar and seeing as how you already have the bones set-up, programming a mobile site wouldn't be hard at all. Just limit the output and stop pigeon-holing yourself with AJAX /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif Yeah, it looks pretty, but in most applications it's totally frivolous, inaccessible to some users, and not broadly compatible.

12. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    That's a good suggestion regarding the lineup naming.   I might see if I can fit that change in today.
    Regarding the mobile support, if we did that, we would make a version of the site specific to the mobile platform.     We've added some mobile functionality (like SMS reminders) and we've talked about making a mobile version of the guide, but right now the numbers aren't there to give us the RIO to make it worth while.   That may change in the future.
    As for AJAX, I agree that in some applications it's pointless, but we use it for a reason (several reasons actually) and I think Titan is much easier to use with it than without.   Virtually every modern PC based web browser supports it very well, so I would say that we are "broadly compatible" with our target audience.   Yes, there may be a few people out there who can't use it for some reason or another, but I'm a firm believer in the 80/20 rule when it comes to developing a site like TitanTV.   If we were developing a banking site or a health care site where accessibility is a major concern, then I would definitely take a different approach, but it just doesn't make sense for a site like Titan.

13. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I ran it through my dev system on IE6. It wasn't happy. It hung on the "add" button loading screen for about 20 minutes before I closed it. Linux browsers pretty much exploded /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif AJAX also is not supported by the majority of mobile browser. Of course these things will probably change.

Overall it's a nice site. Is this your project there? Do you contract these jobs out or do them in-house?

14. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Does it hang like that for you repeatedly? Did it hang when you clicked on "Add" or after you selected a broadcast type?

We've done extensive testing on IE6 and it's worked fine for us so far. It could be that we've introduced something lately that's causing a problem. I haven't done much testing with IE6 now that IE8 is out. We've run it on a few linux boxes here and it's worked fine under firefox, but I haven't tried the other popular linux browsers. Again, Linux & mobile browsers are not a major concern for us at this point. We want the experience to be great for the "masses" meaning PC's and Macs running semi-recent versions of IE 6+, Netscape 7+, Firefox 2+, Opera 9+ or Safari 1.2+.

We do alll of our development work in-house. TitanTV is one of several projects that I work on.

15. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By h2so4hurts on 04/13/2009 07:46 AM
    Eric,
    Just click the add button and click the icon for digital.
    Did that - works fine now.
    I would agree with some additional naming conventions/options when doing the intitial set-up to alleviate users having similar concerns in the future.  I'm pretty savvy but have lost some of my "patience" on the Internet over the last 14 years - would have been easier if I was asked whether I had digital cable when I did the initial set-up.  Welcome to the digital age!
    Works fine in my IE7 - can't comment on IE8 as per a previous post [​IMG].
    -Eric

16. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Still hangs in IE6.

17. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, we testing it with a couple of IE6 machines today and didn't have any issues with add lineup function hanging. You don't by chance have "Fiddler" do you?

18. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm running it through virtual machine, so maybe that's the issue.

19. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My IE6 (and 7) are running through Virtual PC and it works ok for me (there are a few minor bugs now in 6).

You might want to give it another try, we made a change today that helped at least a few people.

-JB

20. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I just pushed out a new version that has a whole new favorites system built in.