1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tires and Wheels

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bullet, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Bullet

Bullet Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Guys.  I know there are a lot of car guys on here so I thought I would ask this question here.  I just bought a 2006 Tundra with the factory 265/65/R17 on it. I traded in my GMC Yukon XL and I kept the aftermarket tires and wheels from it because the tire store said they would fit on the Tundra. They are American Racing wheels and the tires are 275/65/R18. I went to put them on and it looks like the bolt pattern is the same but the rim will not go on because the hub cover(center of the disk that sticks out) is is too big for the rim making the rim not marry up to the disk. Does this make any sense? Sorry for the poor explaination but I do not know all the correct terms. Is there anything I can do to make these rims fit? I really like them and they have new tires so I want to use them.
    Thanks in advance!
    Bob

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Hey,

Is the hole of the rim too small to fit over the center itself?

If it is you can fo 2 things, the best is find a good machinist that can take a little off the rim hole. Second option is to get some spacers which will make it stck out a little farther. Send me a pic & it would help.

3. Bullet

Bullet Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yep, the rim will not fit over the center of the truck. It looks like a hub dust cover that it will not fit over.

4. Bullet

Bullet Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I talked to another tire store and they said that they can not be bored out because once they are mouted the integrity of the rim is compromised. This sucks! These are $1200 rims and I just put $900 worth of Michilins on them 5,000 miles ago. Maybe I will find a store that will do a trade for me?!! or figure out a way to use these!

5. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    LOL, they say that to get you to buy new rims & tires.

How much too small are they?

You are 100% the bolt pattern is the same? The way you measure is to measure from the center of the stud, to the center of a stud accross from it. So if there is 5 studs you measure it in a star pattern.

6. Bullet

Bullet Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes., I have had 3 different stores tell me that the pattern is the same.

7. Bullet

Bullet Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What do you think about these Craig?

http://www.wheeladapter.com/

They guy was awesome! I asked him if they were safe and he said that he goes 300 + mph in 1/8 of a mile with them over and over with no problems. He CNC machines them all upon order. He also said that he does not use any books for all the specs and he rattled off all of the specs for both vehicles to me. After talking to him I feel pretty comfortable with what he knows. I guess i will find out. All I need to get him is the bore measurement off my rims. I think I am going to find a caliper and take a picture of it and send it to him so I know it is exact and he can see where I measured it.

8. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Yep those are the spacers I mentioned. The key to using those is to tighten them after the first 50 miles again & then check them monthly. If you do that they are very safe.

The only thing is that your tires & wheels will stick out as far as the spacer, so if the spacer is 2 inches thick, your tires & wheels will stick that much farther out. Hopefully he can make them so they are thin as possible.

GL & post a pic when you get them on.

9. Bullet

Bullet Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am going to talk to him again this morning after I get that measured. I will find out then how thick they will be. Hopefully it will not be more than an inch. I just do not want them to stick out past the fender flares (which are big on Toyota's). I will probably like it better so that it fills up the wheel well. The stock tires and wheels look so small!

10. Bullet

Bullet Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just to follow up.....The spacer came in Friday and I got them put on Saturday. They work good. they are an inch thick. Glad they were not any thicker. Otherwise they would have stuck out way too far for my taste. I don't like the trucks that look like go carts :). I just finished modifing the inner fenders to take care of the rubby rubby! Still have to go a little further or put a leveling kit on it to bring up the front end. I will get some pictures once I get a chance.

11. Bullet

Bullet Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here are a few pictures:  If they do not work...let me know as this is the first time I have tried to post a picture:

[​IMG]

12. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks good to me. I also don't like it when the wheels stick out really far and yours don't appear to have that look.

13. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Very nice truck Bob. Wish we could car pool to Des Moines in that!!! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif