1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tips for Selling online

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by Bullet, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Bullet

Bullet Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

People sell stuff online all the time but it seems that some are able to sell faster than others.  Why is that?  I thought it would be cool to list some things that may help.  Here are some that I can think of:
    Get the items ready to sell.  Clean them up and assemble or disassemble them.
    Include a picture of each seperate item in the thread
    Describe the condition the best you can.
    Include a link to the manufacturer's website showing the specs of the product or use one like Dr. Fosters and Smith.
    Post the price of the item(s). 
    Can you think of more ideas that help sell?

2. Duke13

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Don't forget to list where you live. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    It also helps to sell things individually. I only think I have seen only 1 whole system sell & that is because it was priced way cheap.
    Sell your livestock individually, then the rock, then the drygoods.

Good pictures
    dont expect to get LFS prices
    Sell at a time when you are available to check computer often & can be home for pick ups, it sucks to send a message &
    then not get a response for 2-3 days.

4. reeffreak3652

reeffreak3652 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    And most importantly...Use the words "LE, Aussie, or Ultra Rare!!!" in front of the item name.

5. Bullet

Bullet Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    All very good suggestions!

I also like to know the reason they are selling and if they bought it new or used and how long they have owned it.

6. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    All great suggestions. It also helps to add if you're willing to ship the item, and if so, how much you would charge for shipping.

Anna /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

7. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good unaltered picture of item
    Fair pricing
    Timely response to emails
    A set date things need to be picked up by
    Shipping information if applicable
    If it is possible, I package item before listing it
    Plan to ship item the day the auction ends or when you stated you would ship it in the listing
    Offer to combine shipping to save money
    Offer freebies if someone comes to pick items up quickly
    Offer to meet someone half way to save them gas and this also solidifies a pick up date
    If meeting someone, pick a LFS parking lot as most reef geeks know where all the stores are and it makes the trip more fun for both of you

8. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Also if your selling something in the tank coral or fish make sure to list what lighting and if the picture was photo cropped. As alot of people like to use only actinic when taking pictures to make the colors brighter.

9. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you decide to sell something, sell it and forget about it. After you give it to the buyer, IT IS NOT YOURS!!! Too often we see threads where people feel put off because they sold something to someone and then the item was resold later for more money. I don't agree with preying on the club to make a buck, but really it is the sellers deal. If it was a high enough price for you to sell it, be happy and forget about it!!!