1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tips for buying online....

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by Travis, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Since we started a selling thread I thought a thread of tips for buying online would be good also...
    Look for feedback on the seller
    Always get a good picture.
    Read the fine print, many items are sold using a generic picture or only frags of shown coral are being sold
    Watch for excessive shipping charges or box fees
    Pay attention to the picture quality as photoshop can make anything pretty.
    If shipping, find out their shipping methods (heat packs for winter, ice for summer)
    Time live purchase with your weather.  Never ship in a blizzard and try to ship in temps from 60-80 degrees
    Use paypal or credit card for all purchases
    If a link from their site takes you to paypal, make sure the paypal web address starts with https:  (without the s it is not a secure website)
    Above rule goes for any site that takes a credit card.  If it takes personal info it should have https:  not http:
    Set a day you want to recieve the item and have it shipped accordingly.
    Ask to have the item shipped with instructions to leave it on your doorstep if you are not home. (otherwise it will sit on a UPS truck for 3 days)
    If possible arrange to pick up all live items at the UPS facility so it doesn't get stuck on the truck
    Check out their live arrival or other guarrantees, read the fine print

2. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Also alittle trick if you know the coral is coming that day and it is going through regular mail like alot of them do you can call your post office ask where your mail carrier is in your area and catch them on there route hours before they get to your house. As this is not something the post office likes on a regular my delivery man was super nice about it and enjoyed getting me out of the way early in the day instead of moving my packaged around over and over knowing it was live animals. This helps alot during the hot summer months.

Also if it is a fish or Hard coral always get overnight shipping or pass on the coral it will likely not make it through shipping. Soft corals can make it at throught 2 day delivery if not more depending on weather.

3. dzabler

dzabler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    one other item is that since you will be acclimating the new coral or fish you are taking water out of the tank so you will need to top off with salt water so make sure you have some brewing. I usually always have being mixed which can be useful cause you never know what can happen with all the plumbing.

4. slim

slim Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How do you add pics to sell things I can't figure it out

5. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Go to new member forum. The latest instructions I have posted in a PDF format

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  6. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    To post pictures that is.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015