1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Thoughts on these tanks and prices...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gb387, Jan 9, 2009.

1. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Not wanting to spend a ton this is what I have found.  Suggestions/thoughts?  I REALLY want black silicone, do I need 2 over flows?  I have this 'thing' and can not stand the clear stuff!  Are all aquariums created equal?
    Yes, these are new prices - I really want new unless I can find a mint condition 120 w/black silicone.  I would love to have a Oceanic Tech Series or Ultimate but not sure I want to spend the $$$$...  It would be nice to find a good used one but I won't pay a premium for one.  [​IMG]
    $599.99

AGA 120 - 2 overflows centered – no plumbing -  clear silicone

$499.99 (alone)

Perfecto 120 - 1 corner flow – comes with bulkheads – black silicone
    Brandon

2. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Get what you want the first time!!

Cheaper now then to buy one your not 100% happy with, and spending the rest of the time wishing you had.

Look on the bright side, thats the cheap part!!!![​IMG][​IMG] 

3. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have that AGA and it is awesome. I was deciding between exactly those two models when I bought mine this summer. Got mine for $475 though in Chicago (thank god the parents still live there and delivered it to me :) ) You can never have too much flow!

4. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think AGA and Perfecto are made in the same factory now. I agree with getting what you want, but there are a lot of quality used tanks around but finding one with black silicone would be hard. If it were me I would buy a good used tank and spend the rest on some of the other expensive stuff we all seem to need. But agin, that is just me and finding black would be tough.

5. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree.  Honestly, I doubt anyone but you would know if you bought a good condition used vs a brand new tank a few months from now :)  Whats the big deal with black silicone anyway?  Seems like clear would be less obvious.......  This is such an expensive hobby, that I'd go with a used one and wait for a deal on one.  Unless you have money to burn, then I guess it doesn't matter, but I assume you don't or you wouldn't be asking this question in the first place.

6. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No, no money to burn... I have been keeping my eyes open for a good used one, I have looked at a three. I want the tank only, two wanted to them to go as a complete combo tank stand canopy, that said one didn't match my furniture, not even close (as a complete set up) the other was way more than it should have been and he wouldn't budge on the price (wanted to get all his money back out of it, I would have loved to have it but I am not going to get screwed!!) and the third wasn't something I wanted to mess with. So the search will continue... I would skip the black silicone on used if I could find a good used one.

Now, I just like the look of black silicone much better, its what I have now and to me it looks better but who knows, guess I am weird.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sea of Marvels has a black AGA 125 - 2 overflows centered FOR 400.00

8. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    black silicone is so you also wont see any algae build up or worry about scrubbing your silicone to get it off. Its also all glass and oceanic are now made out of franklin, wisc. Perfecto has a better bake time with slower cool down time to work the silicone in the corners and seal better. But at the same time i have a 40g long by all glass that is pry 25 years old still holding water

9. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Don't forget that if you do go with a new one, the overflow kits are $50 each.

10. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By h2so4hurts on 01/11/2009 09:17 AM
    Don't forget that if you do go with a new one, the overflow kits are $50 each.
    I am hooked up there already - bought two a couple months ago for $15 each - actually bought 3 and sold one on ebay and made a little $$$.

11. nick

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    that is dirt cheap on the overflow kits, the only company that comes with em is perfecto aka marineland

12. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By fnvarner on 01/11/2009 11:51 AM
    that is dirt cheap on the overflow kits, the only company that comes with em is perfecto aka marineland If I do get the kits w/a tank I will sell the kits I have, believe it or not they came from Petco new in box hidden on a back shelf on clearance, I kept an eye on them and they eventually dropped to $15 and I didn't want to take any more chances and pass on that deal so I bought all 3...  that is a big reason its taking me so long to get to a 120, I keep my eyes out for GREAT deals and buy as needed even if I don't need yet just getting ready.  I do that with just about everything I buy fish tank or not.  Gets annoying to the g/f but I know I can get things for what I want to pay just have to be patient.  on occasions I will 'splurge'.  [​IMG]

13. nick

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    i hear you there i do the same thing and then with taxes i splurge on the things i cant do any other time

14. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You can alway make you overflow piping yourself. I did and don't have any trouble with them and to make 2 cost about 5 bucks

15. clay

clay Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't have a 125gal but I really am tring to get rid of my 58gal oceanic tank and stand. Really nice setup. Up and running now with fish and live rock in it. Comes with 3 lights and a protein skimmer. 1light is a coralife 36in with two PCs and a MH and two leds. The second is ! Coralife 36in with two PCS and two leds. It's not a 75gal but I'm not looking to get rich I have to get rid of it before my wife will let me get a motorcycle. My email is claysmith47@gmail.com

16. FlyingMoray Experienced Reefkeeper

Minburn, IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You should look into the marineland deep dimension tanks. I absolutely love mine and they are some of the highest quality tanks I have seen in a long time.

17. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    this post is over a year old guys.......