1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Thoughts on sump/Frag tank combo....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gb387, May 18, 2009.

1. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So here is my problem....  i live in a townhouse and I am very limited for space so my thought was to have a small area in my sump for frags.  I don't like having frags scattered about the main tank and I have no room for another lone tank.  I was thinking of getting a 18"Nova Extreme 2x18w T5 fixture and and placing it across the sump from front to back over the area where my cheato/live rock would be as well as my frags.  The sump is a 40 breeder, its 18" front to back so the fixture would fit.
    Any thoughts?

2. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Huh - no one has any thoughts on this? Bummer!

3. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What kind of frags will you be keeping? Is the 2) 18W T5 going to be enough light for the frags? Don't forget about flow. The GPH flowing through your sump alone will be not be enough.

4. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, I would keep any SPS in the main tank because of the lighting but just about anything else I would like to keep in the sump. I will have a mag 24 running my system I assume that would create lots of flow (120 W/40 gallon sump), I also have a hand full of powerheads laying around I could use if need be.

5. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Then I don't see why it wouldn't work.
    A Mag 24 for a return pump on a 120? Even with headloss, that's a lot of turnover in your sump. [​IMG]

6. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By slovan on 05/19/2009 10:33 AM
    Then I don't see why it wouldn't work.
    A Mag 24 for a return pump on a 120? Even with headloss, that's a lot of turnover in your sump. [​IMG]
    I know - I am going to run my skimmer off it (I know its not the best thing to do) and what little flow I will need for my phosphate reactor will be tied in as well.  I bought it and it was advertised as a used Mag18 and I ended up with a brand new Mag24 and 40 gallon breeder out of the deal all for $80...  if its a problem I have a 'by pass' to direct extra flow and if that doesn't work I will down grade to a Mag18.  I had intended all along to use a Mag18 so we will give this a try first.
    With that info what do you think of the Mag24 running the system??!?!

7. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you tee it off and use it like you have planned then it should work. However, I didn't realize you were going to feed the skimmer with it. Wouldn't you rather feed your skimmer from the overflows to process the water before it goes back in your display?

8. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By slovan on 05/19/2009 11:53 AM
    If you tee it off and use it like you have planned then it should work. However, I didn't realize you were going to feed the skimmer with it. Wouldn't you rather feed your skimmer from the overflows to process the water before it goes back in your display?
    Yes, that is probably the best solution but the larger than expected pump kind of changed some plans as well as a larger than planned skimmer, I was looking for a AquaC EV-180 and designed the sump and stand around it based on its height and needed water level.  I ended up with a used EV-240, that looks new at a great price and couldn't pass it up....  I had to re work my sump to accommodate the larger size skimmer and figured I would use one pump for the system since now I had a larger pump, things didn't quite work out the way I had planned, I know Joel uses one pump for his system after talking with him I came up this this solution, again not saying thats correct but things didn't quite go to my plan and this seemed to be the next best thing.  Worst case I will sell the Mag 24 and get two smaller pumps.
    Maybe I should step up to a mag36?  [​IMG]   [​IMG]  j/k

9. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You could also put a ball valve on the output of the pump to control the GPH. By doing this, you could still tee off the pump for your phosphate reactor and feed the skimmer with water from the overflow. You would also yield energy savings by not running your pump at peak. Granted it's not much but it's something to consider. :)

10. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I do have ball valves to control the flow to all equipment, and on both return and supply side of the overflows (7 valves in all, 1" and 3/4"), I was thinking of adding one 'main valve' on the main feed line from the pump but not sure if its really needed. 
    By the way is your tank all set up in Altoona yet? I would like to look and see what frags you have available sometime as I will have lots more room in my 120.

11. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Instead of putting 2 valves on the return lines, I would've put 1 on the output of the pump. But that's just me. [​IMG]  There's a lot of ways to achieve success in this hobby and you can get there by doing what you're doing.
    BTW, good timing on asking about my tank.  I will be moving it up this weekend.  As for the fish room, it sits empty waiting for the tank.  However, I do have some water started.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ca't wait to see it all set up! Post when your ready I would like to stop by and get somethings.