1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Thoughts on my set up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MULE, Jun 24, 2009.

1. MULE

MULE Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Give me the good,bad and the ugly on my plans please.
    I'm putting together a 30 long  with a 20 long as a sump.Water depth will be some where around 7" -10"{undecided}.The sump will house an media reactor  and an  oceanic plus series 4 skimmer .Both tank and skimmer  I bought  20 years ago,and will be fed by a 6" x  6" corner over flow in the tank.The tank will be up graded to an 40 breeder when I give up my 3 pak a day smoking habit,which is'nt going so well.My plan is a mixed type reef of softies and lps until I'm sure I have a firm handle on  water chemistry,then move onto sps.Now the return pump has me stumped .I'm leaning toward the Quiet One brand as they are affordable to buy and operate.The model 3000 claims to push out 600 gal. @ a 4' head ,the 4000 750 gph @ 4' head .I'd like to "T" it so that I'd have duel returns{opinions on pumps  please} . My lights will be 4 x  39 watt  t 5 s  with individual reflectors.I have to leave for work now but I look forward to any and all advise .

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Dont sound too bad of a plan

I use a mag9.5 for my return on my 250 & that is plenty enough.

Is that all you are planning on using for flow in the tank?

If you are going to have a couple of powerheads in there you can use an even smaller return pump. It doesnt help that much having the water rush
    through the sump.

GL
    Craig

3. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I've owned Quiet One pumps...they didn't last long - just quit. I now have Rio pumps - still affordable and seem to be more reliable...at least in my experience. Most in the club seem to run Mags ...pricey, but better.

4. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    btw...3 packs a day would trade off for a very nice Reef Budget !! [​IMG]

5. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I ran a 30g reef for several years. Every thing looks pretty good, just one thing that is very important and that is an auto top off unit. When you are running a small tank like that it is vital to keep the tank toped off every day, so take my advice and invest in an ATO!!!

6. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like a good plan. I would, as already been said, ad in some power heads. I would also like to say that I run a gen x pump and have had no problems except for a snail that found his way into it. Good luck and keep us posted.

7. MULE

MULE Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks all .Still undecided on the pump and size.I did consider the mag but the one guy I know who runs one complanes that it runs to hot.Somthing I had not considered.Thanks B-Rad for the reminder on the ato.