1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

this starfish ok?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by seanndenise1, Nov 28, 2007.

1. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    seen this starfish in my tank today and wondered if its ok or not, its about the size of a dime andgrey colored.
    [​IMG]

2. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have hundreds of the little boogers in my tank and while they don't seem to hurt anything in my tank, they are weeds.  If I was you, I'd get rid of it.  When I found the first one (hitchhiker) I thought it was cool.........

3. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Harmless

Robyn that is just an excuse to get a Harlequin shrimp

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Amen I love the harlequin shrimp but that is all they will eat. Get a few out & put in your sump so that the shrimp will always have a breeding population. I will take a few next time we get together even.

5. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have them and can't keep zoas because of them. It's my understanding that it's difficult to tell the difference between the safe and non safe versions of those little guys.

6. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here's a pic and thread link found on RC.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1241296

7. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    There are good asterina stars and bad ones. I have them too, though not in the quantity that you have them. I guess the only way to tell if they are bad is if you catch them eating the coral.

8. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mine don't seem to bother anything....but me that is.  I go through spells where I manually remove them as best I can but they are worse than rabbits. 
    And I thought about getting a shrimp but then I would have had to provide them with food after they had done the deed.  Plus, I've added two Fromia starfish since then.

9. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok thanks everyone, im gonna get that little sucka and throw him in my sump.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have a number of them in the tank and i havent seen any damage from em...

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mine don't hurt anything and I can actually watch them expel their stomachs and clean glass. I figure them in as part of my clean up crew.