1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

This is weird...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Waverz, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    SO I wanted to take a picture of this but the batteries were dead on my camera.  Last month I added a bunch of fish to my tank, after Frag Fest I stocked the tank with about 20 corals.  On top of that my skimmer pump was clogged and not skimming properly, needless to say i had some Nitrates.  The added Nitrates caused a pretty good Cyano bloom on my sand bed.  Today nearly my entire sand bed was covered and something weird started happening.  The is apparently buoyant and is starting to float, bringing along a layer do sand with it.  I want to suck it up but I just made of some water and need to wait until morning, hopefully it hasn't floated up into the circulation pump by then.  That would be quite the mess.

2. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I've seen it float with air bubbles in it. But not take sand with it.

3. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Heh, yeah its a pretty thick layer of Cyano, its taking a good chunk of sand with it. I think I am just going to suck it out and try to suck out a little water as possible until I can do a WC tomorrow.

4. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow...that must be a thick layer! Hope all your corals make it thru OK...especially that blasto and your dendros.

5. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    All the corals are doing GREAT. I got the Nitrates taken care of, i think there was just some residual "stuff" goin on in the sand bed.

Those dendros are completely bulletproof it seems and that blasto is a PIG!

6. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm totally jealous...those are great looking corals.  Now we need new photos. :)
    --AJ

7. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I got most of the cyano sucked out last night but i still have a few patches of HA that needs to go away before i start taking pics. I guess I could snap a few coral shots and crop out the HA.