1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

thinking of switching to T5`s...but how many?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by snowman82, Jun 24, 2009.

1. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well as some of you know i got a 120 and and working on getting everything to get it setup and move my contents of my 125 over to it, and am thinking of changing the lighting.  i currently have 3 250w hamilton bell pendants over my 125.  i'm not sure if its not enough or to much or what but my green and orange digi dont seem to have very consitent polyp extension and such and the one piece that does seems to be higher up in the tank.  but when i go to the 120 i'm thinking of switching over to a T5 retro or fixture and was looking at 8 bulbs but it seems 6 bulbs are more common.  was just wondering what some of your guys opinions might be, its either switching to t5's or going to 400w halides i think.  i want to keep a mix of sps and lps, and have no problem putting my sps tward the top but i dont want to build a huge mountain or rocks :)  oh and with the T5's i already have a icecap 660 sitting here not being used

2. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am looking at doing t5's as well. Sure would like to do the LED thing you posted a link to, but the upfront cost is a little crazy LOL. If you do end up going with the t5's let me know what configuration worked for you :)

3. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Simple answer 8! :)
    I have been able to keep anything I want under my 8 t5's, I like the idea of mixing and matching the bulbs to get the look I want.  I have been thinking of changing to MH but after moving to my 120 and getting my fixture set up the way I wan it looks great.  I seem to keep color in everything just have to have the right placement.  I get comments on my green slimer and green cap, they look very green and have very good polyp extension.  My pink birdsnest is still pink but not quite as pink (close) as Joels (the main colony it came from).  t5's have been working for me!  I have my bulbs set on a 3-4 month replacement, I alternate the bulbs two at a time so I am not spending money on 8 bulbs at once.

4. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    wow your bulbs get little use dont they :) arn't they good for a year

5. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By snowman82 on 06/25/2009 04:06 PM
    wow your bulbs get little use dont they :) arn't they good for a year
    They are good for 12 to 18 months - I just have them set up on a 2 bulb at a time changing cycle to keep the costs spread out over the year or so.

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I was looking for some inexpensive T5 fixtures to put over the new frag tank I'm building and I came across these new fixtures @ marine depot.com:
    Aquatic Life T5HO Fixtures
    This is only a 2 lamp unit, but the nice thing is they can be attached together to form a single fixture.
    This seems like a pretty flexible solution.
    I plan to get a couple of these for my new frag tank and perhaps add a 3rd at some point.
    -JB

7. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just bought 10, yes 10 (5 10k and 5 actinic) Current 24" t5 single bulb linkable fixtures for my sump off ebay all for $30, looks like they are going to work great, I have a little plumbing to redo but great solution for sump lighting.

8. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i looked at those fixtures a while back, the only thing with those it i think they are the Normal output T5's not the 24w ones arn't they?

9. xmasia

xmasia Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i think 6 would be fine 8 would be better you would need another ballast go another icecap 660 for 8 or a 440 for 6 i think youll have to use icecap reflectors as there the smallest unless thats changed.the icecaps will over drive the t5 put fans on the end caps and one exhaust fan.i think you should go with t5 for 2 reasons less heat bulbs are cheaper.just my 2 cents

10. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i was thinking of using the one icecap i got and then i can get ahold of a couple fulham ballasts, and use one of the fulhams for actinics, the other for super actinics/ati fiji purple bulb or whatever and the icecap will run my 10ks with having the 2 ballast i can setup a more dusk to dawn affect more realistic and effectively. whats your thoughts on that? and all with be retrofitted, and i think i might have to do a single reflector since i already have one, and can't justify spending 20bucks for a long skinny piece of thin shiny metal :) specially for 8 bulbs

11. xmasia

xmasia Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i think there would be no problem with that set up the reason i suggested single refelectors is youll get better light penetration.just make sure you have fans on the end caps.

12. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah i plan on the fan situation i will probably eventually do single reflectors but i would have to sell my full light setup i have right now to pay for it. which i may do. i got a set of retro 250w halides i can setup temporary over my 120 when i get all the plumbing worked out then sell my 3 pendant setup to fund my bulbs reflector endcaps :)