1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

think i have ike

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mralanjones, Apr 24, 2009.

1. mralanjones

mralanjones Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    my blue tang has a bunch of white spots on it. i have two other clowns that seem to be fine. what should i do

2. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think the high temps in you tank now have something to do with it. When we get the 75g up and going, it will help with the temp problem. You already know what the first thing is to do. Water Change I would start with like 15g keep the lights off except for like a hour or two a day intil we move to the bigger tank.

3. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    UV sterilizer will also help. Turbo Twist is a good one, might want to see if you can find one of them. I have a 18w one you can use except the bulb is bad on it.

4. mralanjones

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i out the clowns in my roommates tank and put the blue tang in another tube. should i put him back in the tank

5. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You have a hurricane in your tank? j/k

I think blue tangs are one of the most susceptible fish to getting it, so it's pretty common.

If you want to treat it, your going to need to setup a quarantine tank and treat with a copper medication. It will also help to feed quality frozen foods soaked in a garlic dip. When I say garlic dip, I mean one made for the hobby. Garlic guard has been what I've used in the past.

6. mralanjones

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    when you use the garlic dip do you just put it in with the food

7. mralanjones

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    like feed it to the fish aswell

8. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I soak the food in it for 10 minutes or so while it defrosts. You can dump it all in but I never have because I was worried about phosphates.

9. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Hippo tang had ick several times and it always went away on its own. I think the reason was it was getting to big for my 125 and kept getting stuck in between colonies and rock work leading to stress. Personally, i would just just leave it be unless it gets worse, then follow the advice above.

10. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

[​IMG]

11. Colin

Colin Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't have experience with blue tangs, but I have heard that they are ich magnets. To treat I would agree with lee, you need to set up a quarantine tank and treat with copper or another ich medication