1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Thermal tape or adhesive for pcbs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D007, Mar 3, 2018.

1. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    Anybody know a local place that has thermal tape, or arctic, etc for attaching pcbs to heatsink? Cedar rapids area.

Frankenstein'd some rb led bars with spare stuff i had layin around, but dont have a tap to screw pcbs to the heat sinks, non drilled, from scrap tv power boards lol

Thanks for any leads!

Sent from my SM-J710MN via App

2. Drewster

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    I used to buy Arctic thermal paste from radio shack but that's not possible anymore lol there's a small electronics shop behind Coe College, across from Metro Appliance. You could check there.

3. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    i miss radioshack for lots of stuff.
    Yeah the elect place i believe is closed weekends. Used to get small parts there for tv boards and was 5x the price for everything lol.

Guess if all else fails ill just pick up a bit and tap from menards.
    Anybody have any of the tape they would sell? I just need 4 6" pieces

4. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    Aside from swappin out leds on the black boxes im not too familiar with the thermodynamics in regard to heat sinks and a few leds. would a small bit of epoxy on both ends with thermal paste under the pcb be sufficient? (To anyone who is knowledgeable on diy led builds)

5. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    Its only 6 3w leds on each "pod".
    Not hot after 2hrs on, but not sure if the little amount of heat will be detrimental long term to an epoxy holding them to the heat sinks vs a true thermal adheasive.[​IMG][​IMG]

6. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    Cancel info request....drilled taped done.

Thanks for the reply drewster

7. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Good thing, I was going to let you know that epoxy would not work that well. I suppose you could have put the grease down then epoxied around the edge, but you need pressure on the board so that the grease is super thin and spread out.

Bit taps are cheap too. Also using the right SS machine screw does the trick, but that's trial & error finding the exact right bit for the hole and then hopefully not twisting off the screw head

For my algae scrubbers for instance, I use a particular brand of screw, a specific bit for drilling the hole, and I spray-coat the screws with a silicon coating so that they go into the hole without requiring too much torque (which twists off the head). If the hole is too small, the head twists off. Too big, the screw strips out the hole when I crank on it. I have figured out the Goldilocks combination where it works perfect, but that's only for the heat sink material and thickness that I use.

Drilling and tapping is a lot simper for a one-off project, for sure!