1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

The truth about Jebao pumps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xroads, Sep 25, 2013.

1. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0

I'll probably lean towards the WP-25 then. Anyone have any experience with the Bubble Magus skimmers fish-street also sells? Particularly the Curve 5 or slightly smaller models. I see some good reviews on other forums, but the price difference isn't that great I can see so far that would convince me not to just get a comparable Reef Octopus.

2. DSMClown

DSMClown

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So, the general consensus here is that what Jebao is doing is okay? That it is okay to knock off the designs and purposefully mislead with their names because the other guy's products are too expensive for me? And we should just disregard all patent laws?

I get why we as the consumer want cheaper products but aren't we being a little short-sighted about the other side of this? Do we really think that we would have all of the great innovations in reefkeeping toys from the likes of Tunze, Ecotech, AI, etc. if they had no protection for their products and knew that it was going to immediately be blatantly copied, reverse engineered by a crappy chinese company with crappy parts, its name knocked off, and sold for half the price? Tell me where the incentive is to spend money on research and product development?

Someone previously mentioned a Corvette earlier. Let's use that analogy...this would be like a Chinese company copying the same exact mold as the new Corvette, throwing whatever it wants under the hood, calling it a "Carvette", stealing the bowtie but making it just a little longer the Chevy's logo, and then selling it right across the street from the local chevy dealer for 1/3 the price. I hope most people agree that wouldn't be okay? So why is this?

3. jstngates Experienced Reefkeeper

Toledo Iowa
    Ratings:
    +40 / 1 / -0
    But it's done everyday by every product. There is a generic to almost everything. Wal Mart, Fareway, Hy Vee all do it it. And nothing was copied on this. It's not an eco tech. Not even close. But here's the thing who designed the original wave maker? Obviously every other company copied the original design to the original maker. Who make the original plasma t.v.? So many companies copied them? All you have to do for it not to be a copy right is to change something in the design and they have. And from what I've been hearing the WP name has been around longer than the MP.

4. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    They are not like tunze pumps.... they may look kinda alike but are certainly not alike you can tell the difference so its w.e. lol.... its kinda like saying koralia and tunze are the same cause they are round, black, ect.... like the controller looks completely different among other things

5. DSMClown

DSMClown

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Maybe someone more ambitious than me can put up a side-by-side comparison but you can't seriously say with a straight face that these pumps aren't an exact knock off of the streams...

6. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0

Exactly haha you dont see dr pepper crying about dr thunder or mt dew crying about that lightning knockoff

7. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Um no they are not... last time I checked tunze doesnt cone with a controller um the outlet for water movement looks different.... the propeller looks different so the back is round and black I see the similarities there but thats about it

8. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0

Dont you understand.

It saves people money, so it has to be ok.

9. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Not really about money for me I wanted to give it a shot and I like it more then my mp10w

10. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    ya ok.

Again, ask yourself why no respected company in the USA are selling them if they are so great? Marine Depot, Aqua Cave, Drs F&S, and the list goes on.

11. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    So craig is it wrong of people to go to petco to get a 40b for $40 when another pet store has a different 40b for $60

12. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Probably because they were threatened by big name companies here that they would pull their crap out of the stores or sites if they did sell it..... its called controlling the market Im sure you have heard of that....

13. Railcar79

Railcar79 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If there was a patent violation, Tunze would file a lawsuit, and if it was in violation it would be banned from import. The fact that no suit has been filed in all this time says to me that there is no patent violation, so Tunze is using their dealer network to try to block jebao from taking market share.

14. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Exactly what im thinking railcar

15. jstngates Experienced Reefkeeper

Toledo Iowa
    Ratings:
    +40 / 1 / -0
    The real reason no one is probably selling them is they've cut out the middle man and sold them direct and it's worked for them. All those companies wouldn't be able to make a profit nor compete with them directly. We as a consumer can't buy directly from eco tech or tunze.

16. Shayna

Shayna Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    When you buy a cheap generic, you get what you pay for. It may not last, it may not work as well, there won't be a warranty most likely, or good support from the company for questions. But, it may be in your budget and work well enough - it's a risk. I think that's true with about any generic of any product. If the big name companies offer superior quality, warranty/service, and without an excessive mark up, they'll always be of value. That said, they still won't be for everyone. Even the big name companies outsource their manufacturing, so this isn't really about just buying American made. I guess I don't see where this debate is any different than buying any other generic or knock off, which everyone does, especially when it comes to medications. I don't have a WP or an MP, but I will probably be picking up a WP in the near future and upgrading to an MP down the road.

17. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0

Here is the Tunze Turbelle 6105 - 13000 L/H - $350 on this particular site anyways

http://www.saltysupply.com/Tunze-Turbelle-Stream-6105-p/tn6105.htm

Here is the Jebao WP40 13000 L/H w/controller $75

https://www.fish-street.com/jebao_wp-40_13000l_wave_maker

I'll say this:

The magnets are probably not as strong - undoubtedly not as strong

The pump clip (U shaped clip attached to the inner magnet) is nearly identical in function, but does not look exactly the same

The Jebao outlet is clearly centered and the Tunze is clearly off-center, probalby along with the motor and impeller (I assume the Tunze has better inward draw and slightly better overall flow charachteristics because of this)

The 6105 does not come with a controller - that is $275 more

I don't know how the Tunze wavemaker mode works, but the Jebao pumps are not a ramp-up ramp-down like vortechs appear to be, the Jebaos (in W1, W2, W3) are on-off-on-off so you can see the impeller stopping between pulses. Maybe they have changed this, dunno - they have a newer controller now. There are also other modes that are not on-off but the Vortechs and probably the Tunze wavemakers pumps are better controllers I bet.

So now consider that $350 + $275 = $625 for a comparable functioning pump to the Jebao for $75 + shipping. You could buy 8 of them for that price. Ya know, I have some things made in China too, but I've recently found out that I can get it done in the US for what I thought was 10x the price but it turns out to be only about 2x the price. If it (the pumps) were only 2-3x the price, I might pass it by. By 8 times the price? This has got to be making Tunze do a serious gut check on their pricing structure. It's almost embarrassing that they are being undercut that badly.

18. jstngates Experienced Reefkeeper

Toledo Iowa
    Ratings:
    +40 / 1 / -0
    I wouldn't mind buying something local and spending a couple extra bucks to buy local if there was something in that price range comparable. But there wasn't. Craig did hit it right on about it's about saving money. I spent 80 compared to 400 plus. Now I have 320 I still can spend on other stuff for my tank. I think in this hobby there is some stuff you can't buy cheap, like a skimmer. So here's a question wouldn't the DIY be considered a knock off too? I plan on going to that meeting and probably buying some. So is this considered cheap? I'd be putting it together myself and I'm an idiot when it comes to stuff like that. Who says I'm not gonna burn down my house.

19. DSMClown

DSMClown

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Questions for Railcar and armydog:
    1) Who would they sue?
    2) In what jurisdiction?
    3) Do you think it is highly effective suing a Chinese company for patent infringement?
    4) Do you think it is cheap to take a patent infringement case all the way through trial?

The whole point of cease and desist letters is stop a party from doing something that they shouldn't be doing so that you don't have to sue them.

20. jstngates Experienced Reefkeeper

Toledo Iowa
    Ratings:
    +40 / 1 / -0
    I had a Koralia wavemaker a year ago and sold it. How was that not the same as the Tunze?