1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

The truth about Jebao pumps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xroads, Sep 25, 2013.

1. jstngates Experienced Reefkeeper

Toledo Iowa
    Ratings:
    +40 / 1 / -0
    Is Fish Street in the US?

2. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    No, they're in china or thereabouts.

3. Tickyty

Tickyty Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just a point of clarification. Jaebo has been using the WP model naming before this product has come out. It is just a coincidence that their product is similiar to the MP naming convention. They have been making pumps for years and I have a fountain with one of their pumps from about 6 years ago that has the WP model name.

If you get in the bed with a dog you can expect to get fleas. Every industry knows that the Chinese are masters in reverse engineering but companies still go over there and have products manufactured because it is cheaper. No surprise they stole your design and tweaked it.

For all the pumps that have been purchased I have only heard of a few that have failed. The product has not been on the market a year so the failure rate being 6-12 months is not a fair statement. If that was the case the RC threads would have been littered with post. You can buy 4 of these for the price of one of the others and we know that there are maintenence cost with the others as well. As in any business do a cost benefit analysis and see which is better for you.

4. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I thought about that as well re:6-12 month failure rate. And yes I also have been following the RC thread, seen a few that said they have failed also, but not a lot

5. Railcar79

Railcar79 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have been following along as well, waiting to hear about the WP10. The WP is just water pump. As far as failures go, I have seen about the same as Tunze and vortech, over the last 6 months.

6. mikesams05p71

mikesams05p71 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Agree. Seems like the vortechs fail too. Seems like im always seeing posts about every brand of pumps (and lights) that people are saying they quit or need to replace part of them. Dont get me wrong if I was rich id probly buy vortech. Id buy all of you guys one lol. But its just a hobby. Buy what u like. Almost like saying dont buy a new corvette because it looks like a Ferrari.

7. Railcar79

Railcar79 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I run cheap korilia knockoffs, the hydors I had were too much for my setup. I would love controlable powerheads, but Tunze at $350 a pop, and vortech at $235, compared to $75 jebaos is a real hard argument to make.

8. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Ty I could not have said that any better myself. I was thinking the wp name has been around a long time and that the Wp40 has not even been out for a year yet so how is the 6 -12 months thing even plausible at this point.
    Well said Ty
    Sent via App 2

9. Travis G

Travis G Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Even with expensive mp series u always hear "just installed new bearings" or dryside fell off and cracked casing. Lol

10. hart

hart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    I like my MP10 and it has been working just fine for a year give or take. I like my wp25 in my 65. Been going strong at least 6months. For a nano I like the vortech design to free up more room internally, but for anything else I will get a WP pump. Even if it fails after a year or two that is ok for the price in my book and if replacement parts become available even better.
    It is just my personal opinion but I feel that vortechs and tunze are so overpriced for plastic and a simple motor. Not those controllers aren’t expensive, but they are not THAT expensive. For a long time they were all you could get so they could, and did, charge whatever they wanted. I would rather have a vortech or tunze, but I am not willing to spend that much for the larger pumps. If they could get the prices down I would pay more for one, but honestly in my 65 where I have the wp25 I wouldn’t have a vortech or tunze if the wp25 didn’t exist, I would still have a cheaper powerhead.

11. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    For that matter, one could put in 4 Koralias for the price of one MP40 and honestly I have done exactly that. I never fully bought into Ecotech, aside from the cleanup mode which is pretty cool if you don't like stirring up detritus once a week or month.

12. hart

hart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    I can see where this sucks for stores carrying those brands, but that is the reality of the current business world. More choices are always good for consumers. So people buy a WP40 and it breaks, then they might appreciate the greater (supposedly) reliability of American made pumps. Companies can’t just invent something now and rest on their laurels. Chinese or another place where manufacturing is cheap and has loose patent laws will copy it.

To remain “on top” they must continue to roll out new designs or technology. Once again that is good for consumers. The company I work for is starting to do business in China. Counterfeit goods are the cost of doing business. We must rely on better service, knowledge and delivering new innovate solutions to continue our business.

13. jstngates Experienced Reefkeeper

Toledo Iowa
    Ratings:
    +40 / 1 / -0
    Here's how I look at it. I'm struggling to keep my tank going. My corals do not look good. And the crazy thing is I do everything I'm suppose to. Everything is in check. I run a skimmer, I do my water changes with RO water. I've spent crazy money on 4 AIs Blues and test weekly. As of right now I can't imagine spending 400 on the best pump when things aren't going good. For the first 2 years I didn't do anything right. I used tap water not RO and never did a water change. I used an Oddysea t5 fixture and wow did my zoas do awesome. I went to a buddy's house the other night and his tank looked amazing! He never does water changes, Has MH that prob haven't been changed in years, and he even turned off his skimmer. So I can honestly say the cheaper route worked for me. So I ask myself how do I justify a 400 pump over one that's 80? My corals do not look good. And it's not the issue I can't afford it because I can. I've personally think the high priced items are way over rated.

14. Tickyty

Tickyty Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Justin, zoas like a little dirtier water so yours just may be too clean for them if there is such a thing. I too understand your frustration.

15. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Its wp25 and I have had one for over 6 months I actually sold my mp10w for it... and I would never go back it puts out more flow then the mp10.... as for it failing ive heard more vortechs having problems then these ie mine was loud my wp25 is quite. ... but either way pick what ever the hell you want to put in your tank for flow does it really matter do we really always have to resort to this childish crap on this site.... heres some truth about the wp25 its awesome and is great for flow in a tank... it also has a controller that has a light sensor and when your lights go off it goes down to half the speed.... now I have heard that the light sensor does go bad but wow a whole dollar is what it costs and fish street sends it out fast and cheap... I have an extra one but I have not had to replace it yet

16. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0

I have a question about the light sensor. If you have the speed setting during daylight set to the lowest setting, will it still cut that in half when the lights go out?

17. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    im pretty sure it will cut the flow down in half no matter how low you have it.

18. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0

I've got a 75 gallon I'm setting up soon so looking to get a wavemaker pump. I've been looking at the WP-40 but been reading that it is probably only weak enough flow on the lowest setting, so I cant decide whether to get WP-25 and use higher setting or try the 40.

19. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    One wp25 would be more then enough for a 75g be sure to get an extra light sensor for a whole dollar just in case yours goes out in the next year.... and also get http://www.fish-street.com/12v_to_24v_power_supply_for_jebao_wp-40_wp-25_replacement_pump this will allow you to slow the flow down and that costs $10 I have mine at 19v

20. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    So you will have an excellent controllable pump like the vortechs for way less money and you will be happy with it... fish street also works with you if anything goes wrong. Which I dont see happening anytime soon but I guess we will see