1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

The start of my new tank...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gb387, May 7, 2009.

1. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thought I would share some photos of what I am working on....  I am in the middle of a new 120 build.  I built the stand and 'canopy' in my garage out of Maple and couldn't be happier with its look and quality... its getting a little more expensive than I thought but I can't stop now.  I do have someone helping me with the doors as I don't quite the right tools to make doors.
    The sump is a 40 gallon breeder, all equipment I have purchased off GIRS used and couldn't be happier dealing with everyone that I have, all equipment has been as advertised and top notch!  Mag drive 24 will power all the equipment, I know I am not suppose to but I am using one pump for all, including the skimmer.  
    I am going to be using black granite tile on the shelf around the bottom of the aquarium cutting it to fit.  I have made the shelf removable as well to lighten the stand should and when I have to move it.  I will only be using 5 granite tiles but dang just 5 weigh a ton!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see I am missing some baffles in my sump but I am in the process of correcting the water height to accommodate the larger than planned skimmer.  The plumbing is far from done...  all is still work in progress.  I hope to be adding sand/rock/water in the next week or two.  My house is going to be a total DISASTER while this tank cycles and I can move all my stuff from my 90 and over to the 120, luckily I am not home all that much in the summer.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for looking!
    Brandon

2. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    PS I hope you can see the photos, I have had trouble with them in the past.

3. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Looking really good so far! I really like the stand and the manifold looks good. What all do you plan on running off of it besides the skimmer?

4. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, really only the dual over flows, skimmer and phosphate reactor, I have an extra valve for expansion and whatever else and/or a bypass. I am a little concerned with the size of pump (mag 24) might be too big?!? When I went to buy the pump I was told it was a mag 18 I showed up and it was a mag 24.

5. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    VERY Nice Brandon! Don't let em' fool ya, bigger is always better! You will be fine.

6. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Looks great! The stand and canopy are looking realy good. How much did it cost to build?

7. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Bill on 05/07/2009 10:06 PM
    Looks great! The stand and canopy are looking realy good. How much did it cost to build?
    More than I thought!  for the entire set up I am not sure what I have into it as I have been accumulating things for a year now in hopes of moving to a 120.  For the stand/canopy I have 250-300 into it don't think its all that bad just thought I could do it cheaper but a dozen trips to Menards and Lowes adds up!

8. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Very nice Brandon!

That pump will work just fine, you can Tee off the returns at the top of the tank and get ya some awesome flow were you want it!

Nice craftsmanship on the stand and the canopy! Cant wait to see it filled up with live stock.
    Keep us updated with pics as you go!!
    -Rick-

9. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Man that is sweet. I wish I could do something like that but my finishing skills are horrible.

I look forward to seeing this progress over the next year or 2

10. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great job on the stand, I'm impressed!! Looking forward to seeing your progress.

11. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Posted By gb387 on 05/08/2009 05:27 AM

Posted By Bill on 05/07/2009 10:06 PM
    More than I thought!  for the entire set up I am not sure what I have into it as I have been accumulating things for a year now in hopes of moving to a 120.  For the stand/canopy I have 250-300 into it don't think its all that bad just thought I could do it cheaper but a dozen trips to Menards and Lowes adds up!
    Man that's not bad at all for a nice stand and canopy that size. I paid around $5oo for my solid oak stand and canopy for my 90gallon.

12. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the comments... I hope to have the doors this weekend and think I will be working on the granite tonight!

13. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Everything looks good Brandon, are you relying on just the mag 24 for all the water movement or are you gonna throw a powerhead in there too??

14. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have two Koralia 4's right now. Might change over to one Koralia 5 or 6 not to sure yet, just trying to keep the main tank 'clean' looking.

15. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here are some more photos with the granite installed and the doors.  I still have a little 'clean up' work to do on the stand, fill nail holes fix a couple runs I ended up with in the poly.  Sorry about the blurry photos, I think my camera is starting to take a dive, its been taking lots of blurry photos no matter the setting!!?!?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Bzishka

Bzishka Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    looks good, i am excited bigger tank means bigger frags right?

17. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I hope to get some photos tonight of if all up and running (no coral and live stock).... Seems that it has finished its cycle but I am going to run it a couple weeks with the skimmer and main pump running.

18. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The stand and canopy looks awesome Brandon! I can't wait to see the finished product. [​IMG]

19. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well didn't get any photos yesterday.... took a lot longer to get everything up and running and topped off with water. Looks like my sump is working so thats a relief, best of all it doesn't over flow when the pump shuts off!

20. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    pics don't do it justice looks even better in person in my opinion. if need help transfering let me know I have tues, thur, and sun off every week