1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

The Official Camera Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ZLTFUL, Dec 25, 2007.

1. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So what do you use to take pics of your tank?
    I currently have a Kodak Easy Share P850...not the best but has decent shutter speed and is capable of taking macro shots...
    And I can always use my roommate's Nikon D80 that she just got...along with some tasty lenses...
    Of course, I can't justify the $800+ she has into hers but I am happy with the $100 I spent on the Kodak to help her spend on the Nikon (bought the Kodak from her but it wasn't enough for her...)

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use a Nikon Cool Pix 4800, it's 4 megapixel's with 128 mb card.  It takes decent macros but nothing close to DSLR.  I always had good luck taking macro pics by turning off pumps, adjusting white balance and using a tri pod. 

3. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great idea for a thread Ryan! I am using a 5.0MP Sony DSC-T1(slim point and shoot). It doesn't have any manual controls for shutter or aperture and no manual setting for white balance so it's really hard to get nice pictures.

Right now, I'm in the process of researching new DSLR cameras. The Nikon D80, Canon D40 and D400 are the ones I'm looking at. I'm also looking at getting a macro lense for the camera I'll go with. If anyone has any suggestions for a good camera, feel free to throw them out there. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

4. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    we have a couple, one is a fuji finepix point and shoot, the second is my wifes canon 40d dslr

5. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was overwhelmed with the roomie's D80...she shot a few pics for me but when I tried to I was like what's this button do the whole time.

The P850 is basically a glorified point and shoot but has alot more manual adjustability than most. I am new to this whole photography thing as before, I only needed a cemera that would fit in the inside pocket of my motorcycle jacket and allow me to shoot pics on long moto rides quickly.

Now that I have the tank, things I didn't even think of before now become priority (white balance, macro capability, etc.)

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've got a Canon sd450 (5 mp point and shoot) that I can get fairly good photos with, but borrow my dad's Sony A100 for much better pics. It's sort of sad, I'm used to and know how to use SLRs but do not own one myself.

7. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I use the Canon A610, its a great camera for taking pictures of my tank, mainly becuae it has a pre-set white balance that is used when taking pictures underwater.  I just got a Canon HV20 for xmas, its high def camcorder so be on the look out for reef videos from me soon.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just got a nikon D40, I will post some pics soon,

9. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I ended up getting a Canon EOS 40D. It's a monster compared to my Sony point and shoot! I'm still learning to take pictures with it so I'll post some later.

10. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a Nikon D50 and I am really happy with it...

Here are some shots I have taken with it
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is an attempt at an HDR photo...
    [​IMG]

Couple others..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    eins

11. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow! Those pictures are awesome Bill! Do you spend a lot of time cleaning up the photos after you're done taking them? It seems like I always have stuff floating around and makes the pictures look crappy. What settings do you use? I have been using aperture priority with a low ISO setting. I have tinkered with the depth of field but haven't been able to get any shots that I'm crazy about, yet. Again, thanks for sharing those!

12. einsteins

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes...I clean up the specs in the postwork..you have to, there is no way to avoid them.

I use AP I usually start at around F6 and work up from there 200 ISO tripod and I use the timer to set off the shutter. I play a bit with depth of field based on what is behind the subject. I also shoot each picture serveral times using + and - exposure compensation.
    I have found that what metering you are using makes a big difference also in Macro shots.
    I have been playing with Center Weighted and Spot metering with some decent results.
    I dont ever use flash either.

Hope that helps....

13. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Bill. Yes, it does help. I'll play around with the settings, take notes and spend more time cleaning up the pics.

14. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Awesome Bill! Man i wish i could get macro shots like that, maybe its time for a new lens.

15. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Even with a macro lens, mine still isn't coming out nearly as nice as Bill's pictures.  I have a lot of practicing to do! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

16. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice shot Einsteins.

17. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I have a D50, no macro lens though.

If you haven't tried it already, turn all your pumps off and let the tank sit for a bit. That will remove some of the floating bits in the water.

18. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey Bill and others,

I am looking at buying a Nikon D40 with the standard 18-55 f3.5 lens. Bill did you use a macro lens for those shots or a "standard" lens? I am trying to decide if the standard lens is enough.

19. einsteins

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I used a 60mm F2.8 Nikor macro lens.

Beware that the D40 need lenses that have the auto focus motors built in as apposed to the D80 that does not.

eins

20. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Bill,

I saw that the D40 needs the AF-I or AF-S, they seem to be reasonable in price and availablity. I wasn't worried about this, should I be? The D80 is a bunch more expensive. I have been all over the .net and other than avoiding the scam artists like expresscamera.com, Cameta seems to have some very good prices. There are some other kits on EBay that have great prices too. Will I need an actual Macro lens I am assuming? What about a Nikon 70mm-210mmf4 Series E (AI-S) One-Touch Macro lens, Cameta has a used one for $89? I am thinking of calling them and just having them put a kit together for me. They don't have any D40X's listed on their site, just on EBay.