1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

The Filter Guys

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by -=kevin=-, Nov 11, 2007.

1. -=kevin=-

-=kevin=- Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just a report of great service.  I got my carbon filter and a refillable catridge for the DI resin from them.  They scared me with an email of a refund, I figured they cancelled my order for some dumb reason like many on-line venders seem to do. But no, it was a refund for over paying on the shipping!  How cool is that?  Items already here and installed by the time I figured out what the extra communication was all about.
    So, I highly recommend The Filter Guys http://www.thefilterguys.biz/ . 
    Thanks,[​IMG]

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I second that recommendation. They are some of the best!

3. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That is awesome!!! Who sends you a refund anymore?

4. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The filter guys are awesome. I will order all my filters from them.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think ash and i are going to order an rodi system from them...

when you order one new does it come with filter media?

6. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By heartben on 11/12/2007 7:50 PM
    I think ash and i are going to order an rodi system from them...
    when you order one new does it come with filter media?
    It comes loaded.  It is usually a good idea to buy a refill pack with it.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    how often does one generally have to change the media and in what order? i dont know much about it....

8. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Depends on where you live and what your local water supply looks like. My local water is pretty nasty to say with least with high chlorine and extremely high TDS. I change carbon filters every 4 months or so, at that time I change my sediment filters as well. My RO has not had to be changed yet, and I go through a cartridge of DI resin every couple hundred gallons of RO water generated. I have three DI units right now and fully exhause the first chamber and move the second to the first position and put a new cartridge in the 2nd position. The third position is there in case I am on the road when it is time to change the other two, just a safety precaution.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Have you considered going to an RO with a higher rejection rate, billy? Or have you already?

10. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you have something like a 75 GPD DOW Filmtec membrane, it already has a rejection rate of 98%.  That's one of the highest I have seen in the consumer market.  There is one made by SpectraPure I have thought about buying it when the time comes to change out my RO membrane.
    I don't know if there is any savings to it or not but SpectraPure offers hand-picked membranes that are guaranteed to be over 98%.  The actual rejection rate is written right on the membrane so that you know what you should be getting.  But the price is about 100% higher than the Dow Filmtec membrane.  Would the increased efficiency from the membrane help reduce the use of DI resin so much that you could save money from that standpoint?  What's the cost of DI resin refills?  $12-$15 per cartridge?  If you could prevent refilling 3-4 catridges over the normal lifspan(about 2 years or 95% rejection rate?) of an RO membrane, you could save some money.  Plus the membrane should last longer if the rejection rate is higher to start with.
    Who knows, maybe this was my justification to try something new.  I'm kind of an equipment junkie!

11. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By ryansholl on 11/13/2007 8:28 AM
    Have you considered going to an RO with a higher rejection rate, billy? Or have you already? I am using a 75 gpd membrane, and would probably be better off with a 50 gpd. My incoming TDS is very high though, well over 600. So at 95% I expect to see a tds of 30 or so coming out of the RO. I am a little better then that due to the booster pump I added. Even at 97% I would still be 18 or so. I will probably go to a 50 gpd unit at the next membrane change to see if there is a noticeable difference in DI resin usage.

12. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By BGreenlee on 11/13/2007 9:20 AM

I am using a 75 gpd membrane, and would probably be better off with a 50 gpd. My incoming TDS is very high though, well over 600. So at 95% I expect to see a tds of 30 or so coming out of the RO. I am a little better then that due to the booster pump I added. Even at 97% I would still be 18 or so. I will probably go to a 50 gpd unit at the next membrane change to see if there is a noticeable difference in DI resin usage.
    I don't know if you'll gain anything by going with a lower GPD membrane.  On the filterguys.biz site, the 50 GPD membrane has a rejection rate up to 98% whereas the 75 GPD membrane says it offers a rejection rate of 98%.  I don't know if it's inconsistency in wording but I would hate to see you get less efficiency and lower water output.
    If you can get a rejection rate of 98% or a TDS of 12, it would be 33% less than what your DI cartridges is seeing today.  In your situation where you have very high TDS, every little bit helps.