1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

The contents of my salt tank......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ALaake, Jun 8, 2009.

1. ALaake

ALaake

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here's my saltwater poison of choice.......  Moray.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Cool fish man! Are your Motoros old enough to spawn?

Sorry to hijack your thread but i thought you might enjoy these pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Nice looking morays...what do you feed them? I would guess their appetite gets a bit expensive.

4. ALaake

ALaake

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    WWWHHHAA??

What the heck are those? Coloration looks Motoro/Leo, but tail looks Motoro. Are they indeed hybrids? Mind disclosing where they came from?

I DEFINETLY enjoy those.

Yes, my rays are old enough to breed. My big Marble miscarried 10 weeks ago. Expecting again in mid July. Hoping the Motoro/Henlei is also prego but not confirmed yet. Should be kicking into high gear soon.... 3 definite mature females, 2 more then likely, and 2 still in growout. 4 mature males, 2 in growout. Some of the Marbles are what I would consider very high quality for us here in the US.....

Where should I post a few of my ray pics? Didn't know if the photo place was ok beings that they aren't really salt (although when being medicated they may qualify for low end brackish...lol) Maybe OT?

5. ALaake

ALaake

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By bobsfish on 06/08/2009 01:17 PM
    Nice looking morays...what do you feed them? I would guess their appetite gets a bit expensive. They are actually very cheap to feed compared to the rays.
    Mostly squid. Some "seafood mix", scallops, market shrimp, smelt, Talapia, polock, flounder, pretty much anything on sale.  Really not too picky.
    The Dragon decided to somehow manage to choke down a Mono this weekend.  I'm guessing whatever I'm feeding I need to do it in higher quantity or frequency if I want the other 3 Monos to have a happy LONG life.....  The Monos are my oldest fish at around 8 or 9 years.  Kinda sad. [​IMG]

6. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Those are awesome Alaake!!!

The one looked like it had a mouth full of eggs!

Waverz are those yours?

7. ALaake

ALaake

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Must be referring to "Jerry" the Zebra and his flat crushing teeth..... I need to dig for some pics of him all sprawled out in his old 125.... The thing's around 4 foot.

8. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    They were Jon Rare "Afishanodo" Hybrids, I had them along with a pair of Leos, but they are all long gone due to a stupid water change incident.

9. ALaake

ALaake

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Holy shibby.

My Hybrid (Henlei/Motoro) came from the same friggin guy!!!!!!!! He got it from the Aquarium of the Americas or something like that.

Yours look VERY similar to some recent pics I've seen of Motoro/Leos. How long ago did you have them? Pre-ban? I thought most of Jon's activity was pre-ban.

10. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    I love eels I have a 18in snowflake that eats out of my hand. how do you keep them from fighting I thought moryas were only one to a tank because they are teritoriel

11. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, i think it was about a year or two before the ban, man i miss those fish, they probably would have had a bizillion litters by now.

12. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Cool... that's a $1000 dragon eel. I had a jewel like the 3rd pic that was huge but my most scary was the green fibriated eel ...just evil looking and super fast.

13. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    love the eels,and i am very jealous you have a dragon eel,so very cool!!!

14. ALaake

ALaake

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By matt1971 on 06/08/2009 07:37 PM
    Cool... that's a $1000 dragon eel. I had a jewel like the 3rd pic that was huge but my most scary was the green fibriated eel ...just evil looking and super fast.
    Few clarifications.....
    The Dragon was not $1K.....  It was actually a bit cheaper then common going rate due to size.  Market value goes down when they are 3 foot + and capable of eating most fish they are housed with.  I think the diver that caught it didn't really care for it or the fact it attacked him when caught, therefore priced to move.
    There is no Jeweled.  There are 2 Whitemouths which may look similar.

There are Green Morays, and Fimbriated Morays.  Never heard of a Green Fimbriated.  I had a 2 1/2 foot Fimbriated.  It had a yellow head? But was no where near as aggressive as the Dragon.  The Fimbriated would snatch food fast then retreat.  The Dragon will just swallow and continue charging.  Has NOT been in captivity long so has NO respect for tank boundries.  By far the most aggressive eel I have ever personally seen.