1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

The chopped copepod theory.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vikubz, Aug 27, 2009.

1. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I have read posts on RC where folks claim that having a 'fuge in your sump is useless because any pods that grow there will be chopped up by your return pump. Now some of the larger critters like a full grown munnid isopod might take a beating, the other pods I see in my tank are so tiny I would think they wouldn't think much of a ride up to my tank, except for a couple "Auntie Em!". I also think that in their larval stages, the types of creatures that grow in our sumps would not even notice a ride through a pump.
    That's what I think any way.
    Mark

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I don't mind chopped steak....it's easier to eat.

3. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    That's complete BS. They go right through the pump with no problems what so ever. Some may take a beating, but lots get through.

-JB

4. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have two dragonfaced pipefish that say that is bs,they have never really taken frozen and eat pods all day. i have had them for atleast 6 months and both my sump and main tank are full of copepods and amphipods. if the pods were not making round trips,the main tank would not have to many left because i also have a few wrasses in there also.now i could maybe see a few of the bigger amphipods not making it but the copepods are so much smaller!

5. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Why don't they test this by taking a 5 gallon bucket, counting the number of pods added, put a powerhead in for an hour, then count the number alive after...

6. dzabler

dzabler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i would agree with it being bs...my scooter dragnet is doing just fine and the pod population in my sump is awesome

7. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I used to have a 125 setup on the main floor plumbed to a 75 gallon used as a sump/refuge in the basement, Above the main tank was a 15 gallon refuge fed from the main tank by a powerhead.  I acclimated a couple black mollies to the sump and within a week or so one of them had babies (mollies are free swimming at birth) They ended in the main tank and the refuge and even alive in the skimmer. They are not small at all, Most were about a 1/4" long at birth all were in great shape...until they became a snack for fish and corals alike. They went thru at least one pump to get to the main tank and a powerhead to get to the small refuge and a needle wheel pump to end up in the skimmer so I'mm sure a copepod is going to be just fine.