1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Test Kits

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BigBlue, Nov 5, 2007.

1. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
     I have been using Salifert to test my nitrates and its been testing pretty high like 25ppm. Well to day I used my API test and it read 0ppm./site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/blink.gif So I tested it again and it still read 0ppm./site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/blink.gif So then I busted out the Salifert test and sure enough it tested at 25ppm./site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/mad.gif What do you guys think? You think I have a bad nitrate kit?
    I read a post on RC under the Salifert forum and I guess they are having problems with that kit. So I don't konw how many of you use Salifert test kits but I would be double checking your readings just to be on the safe side.

2. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Monty,

I would see if you can get your water tested by someone else in the area(someone you trust) for a second opinion. Personally, I'm thinking about using http://www.aquariumwatertesting.com/ for quarterly checks against my test kits.

3. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had Jermey test it last week with his Salifert test and it also came out 25 ppm.

4. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By slovan on 11/05/2007 6:37 PM
    Hey Monty, I would see if you can get your water tested by someone else in the area(someone you trust) for a second opinion. Personally, I'm thinking about using http://www.aquariumwatertesting.com/ for quarterly checks against my test kits.
    Interesting site Sone. I think quarterly check might be a pretty good plan just for the piece of mind.

5. nielsen2773

nielsen2773 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    do you knon on the salifert test kits you then divide by 10 which would make you reading 2.5 probably not far off.

6. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Salifert has been having many problems with their kits over the last few months....

I dont trust them much any more.
    Check the Salifert forum on RC, you can most likely find out more there.

eins

7. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Salifert is defintely having issues and it seems Habib is MIA...
    Here is something on Nitrate kits... http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1241017

hope this helps
    eins

8. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Have you been following the directions to a T shaking the bottles before and waiting 5 minutes? I know the API Nitrate test is a long process.

9. nielsen2773

nielsen2773 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My salifert test kit is easy add 1 ml of water to vial, a scoop of powder 1 ,and a scoop of powder 2 and gently swirl let stand 3 minutes and whaall compare colors if to hard to tell compare holding it looking through the side and divide by 10.

10. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yep I did the just what the kit says. I don't know I have heard alot of people are having troubles with the Salifert Nitrates kits. So I think I'm going to stick with the API tests. They might take a little longer but I trust them a little bit more.

11. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I did not know Salifert was having trouble. I always treated them as the "gold standard".... Good to know.

12. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ya if you go to RC under the Salifert forum there are a lot of people on there complaning about there test kits.