1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Temp Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bela, May 13, 2009.

1. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey everyone,
    I been having a little issue with temp in my 10g. Basically it is getting way too hot. The temps in the house are sitting around 70-75 degrees. The tank with lights on and everything is going at about 84 degrees mid-day. NOT GOOD! Right now, while I am able to watch it, I have been dropping small baggies of frozen RO water into the sump to keep things cool. This seems to be working, but it is annoying to say the least. I also have both the DT and sump lights on at the same time... I need to change that to make the sump come on at night, however I am not sure it will completely solve my problem. I was thinking of maybe incorporating a fan somewhere, but with how small everything is I am not sure where, maybe the sump? If anyone has tackled these issues before let me know, I would love some input!

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Can you fit a small fan in there? You would be amazed how much of a difference it would make.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    you can put a fan on the sump get a clip on fan if need to be or you can get on ebay and buy a sump fan do you have a canopy on your tank? mabey put fans in your canopy i have 3 big fans in my canopy that my reefkeeper runs so thay only come on when need to be so you dont have to listen to that fan run 24-7 mabey cut back on your light time if your having heat problems now wait till its 90 out i hope this helps and good luck

4. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There really is not much of a canopy to speak of... more of a lid. I am toying with the idea of lifting the lid up a bit to try and get some more air flow. Even still, there won't be much room to fit a fan in there. The sump is pretty small too, but I will try and cram a clip-on fan in there. Any idea of the best place for me to get one? If the price difference is a couple bucks then I would rather not wait for ebay, as changing ice out constantly has gotten old to say the least.

Thanks for all the input so far! :)

~ Bela

5. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I think they have the little clip on fans @ walmart for $10 or so. It shouldnt take much. You can also put it on a timer so it only runs during the day for 20 minutes at a time or so. You can play with the settings & dial it in.

6. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you could post some pictures of your set up, it might make it easier for us to make some recommendations.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yes you can buy them at a walmart for 10.00 is the back of you canopy or lid open? what kinda light your run

8. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No the lid isn't open. I will try and get a pic of it, although I always have to borrow a camera since mine is a POS LOL. I run 40 watts of PC lighting 50/50 10000k

9. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Icecap sells a nice little canopy fan that has a temp sensor so it will turn on when it gets too hot. Of course it's not a $10 fan, lol but its nice :)

10. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got the fan for 10 bucks at walmart and it dropped my temp nicely. Looks like it did the trick, and no jerry rigging required. Thanks guys!